These Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes are smooth, creamy, and make the perfect side dish for winter, fall, a special occasion like Thanksgiving or Christmas, or whenever you want a big bowl of comfort!
If you're looking for a tasty mashed sweet potato side dish that isn't too heavy or sweet, this one's for you. It's a very simple recipe. I find sweet potatoes don't need a whole heck of a lot done to them to taste good.
The handful of fresh chopped parsley makes all the difference in this recipe. And the chives add even more freshness.
Yes, this recipe contains butter and cream. I still consider these electric pressure cooker mashed sweet potatoes fairly healthy since there isn't much of either, and I'm assuming you won't eat the whole bowl by yourself. 😉
How to make mashed sweet potatoes in an electric pressure cooker
Cut the peeled sweet potatoes into rough 2" (or so) pieces. Add them to your Instant Pot along with some vegetable broth (makes them more flavorful!). Cook the sweet potatoes on high pressure for 8 minutes. Prep the mix-ins while they cook. Release the pressure manually. Add the mix-ins and mash!
Why make mashed sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot?
- They cook more evenly in a pressure cooker
- One less thing for the stove! (e.g. if you’re making a big meal like Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas dinner)
- The pressure cooker keeps healthy nutrients in
- You're free to do other things while the Instant Pot is getting up to pressure and cooking
- Your kitchen won't heat up (say you're craving these in warm weather!)
- It’s fast!
I hope you will try this Instant Pot mashed sweet potato recipe!
Questions? Ask me below.
Easy and Healthier Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled & cut into 2" chunks
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2-3 tablespoons (or to taste) heavy/whipping cream
- Handful fresh parsley chopped finely
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh chives chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prep your sweet potatoes (peel & cut them into rough 2" or so pieces) and add them to your Instant Pot along with the vegetable broth.
- Close the lid, make sure the valve is on "sealing", and set the timer to cook the sweet potatoes for 8 minutes on high pressure (it'll take approx. 10 minutes or so to get up to pressure).
- Add the butter to a small bowl and microwave until melted.
- Manually release the pressure once the sweet potatoes are cooked. Test to make sure they're done by inserting a knife. If they're not done, put the lid back on and cook them on high pressure for another 2 minutes.
- Carefully take the inner cooking pot out of the Instant Pot and drain the vegetable broth. I don't reserve the vegetable broth because, unlike mashed regular potatoes that need extra moisture, I didn't find the sweet potatoes needed it. You can keep the broth in a bowl just in case, though, and add it to the sweet potatoes if needed.
- You can mash the sweet potatoes right in the inner pot on your counter (I don't like to mash them with the inner pot in the pressure cooker in case I damage the heating element). Add butter and one tablespoon of cream to the sweet potatoes. Mash the sweet potatoes and add more cream (one tablespoon at a time) as needed to get the texture you want. Season with salt and pepper (I'm pretty generous) and add the chives and parsley. Serve immediately.
- Be sure to salt these mashed sweet potatoes enough to ensure good flavor.
- If you need to make these a bit ahead of time, you can simply leave them in the Instant Pot for up to a couple of hours and they will stay fresh and warm using the "keep warm" setting.
- Serves 4-6.
- This is the 6-quart Instant Pot I used for this recipe.
You may also like my Instant Pot mashed potatoes recipe.