Chicken Fajita Soup
This simple chicken fajita soup recipe has all your favorite fajita flavors in a warming and cozy soup! It's healthy and packed with goodness.
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 bell peppers chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can black beans drained
- 1 (4 fluid ounce) can diced green chilies with juices
- 1 (1 ounce) packet fajita seasoning (I used Old El Paso)
- 6 chicken thighs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Serve with (optional): chopped cilantro, Tex Mex cheese blend, lime juice, sour cream/plain Greek yogurt, tortilla strips, etc.
Add the oil and onion to a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for about 7 minutes or until it's lightly browned (that adds more flavor to the soup).
Meanwhile, I like to chop the peppers.
Add the peppers and garlic to the pot and give it a stir. Cook for about a minute.
Add in the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, beans, green chilies, fajita seasoning, and chicken thighs. Increase the heat to high and bring it to a boil. Once it's boiling, reduce the heat and simmer the soup for about 15 minutes.
Take the chicken out of the pot and cut it up or shred it with two forks, then add it back into the soup. Season the soup with salt & pepper as needed. Serve soup as-is or add your favorite toppings.
- If you prefer, use boneless/skinless chicken breasts (I'd use 3 or 4 of them and cook them for about 10-12 minutes, cut them up, return them to the soup, and make sure they're fully cooked).
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. Note: my nutrition calculator didn't have any info for fajita seasoning, so I used the values for taco seasoning instead.
Calories: 392kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 1121mg | Potassium: 1015mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2332IU | Vitamin C: 125mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 4mg