Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
This chicken tortilla soup recipe is incredibly flavorful, comforting, and easy! Load it up with your favorite toppings to make it a meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 pound chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can corn drained
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 (13.5 fluid ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Toppings (optional, to taste): tortilla chips/strips, avocado, shredded cheese, cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream
Sauté the onion in a large soup pot until lightly browned (about 5-7 minutes).
Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add in the remaining ingredients and increase the heat to high. Once the soup is boiling, reduce the heat and simmer, with the lid slightly ajar, for 20 minutes.
Take the chicken out and shred it with two forks then add it back into the soup. I recommend adding a good squeeze of fresh lime juice to the soup prior to serving, but that step is optional. Serve and top each bowl as desired.
- You can add even more chicken than I suggest if you wish. You can use chicken breasts if you prefer, but chicken thighs have more flavor and tend not to dry out as fast. Be careful not to overcook chicken breasts.
- This soup freezes well.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 1164mg | Potassium: 594mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 988IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 3mg