Easy Chicken Stew
This easy chicken stew recipe is simple to make and super comforting! It'll stick to your ribs and keep you warm all winter long.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 3 medium carrots peeled & sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth/stock
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 2 dashes Italian seasoning
- 7 ounces mushrooms (use white or cremini) sliced
- 2 large Russet potatoes peeled & diced
- 1.5 pounds uncooked chicken breasts
- Salt & pepper to taste
Add the oil, butter, onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to a large soup pot. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
Stir in the flour and let it cook for about a minute.
Stir in the chicken broth, cream, and Italian seasoning, followed by the mushrooms, potatoes, and chicken.
Increase the heat to high and bring the stew to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat and simmer (lid off) for 25 minutes (veggies will be tender and liquid will have thickened a bit).
Take the chicken out and cut it up/shred it. Add it back in, then season the stew with salt & pepper to taste.
- This isn't a super thick stew. It's got quite a soupy texture (especially day 1). For leftovers it definitely thickens up a bit.
- I used 4 large chicken breasts weighing around 1.7 pounds (anything around 1.5 pounds is fine). Feel free to use chicken thighs. The meat is more likely to stay tender, especially after reheating.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 617mg | Potassium: 1264mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 5479IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 2mg