This hearty chicken stew recipe is simple to make and super comforting! It'll stick to your ribs and keep you warm all winter long.
This is one of those stews that (in my opinion anyway) are better the next day. It thickens up a bit more, and the flavors meld together even better. Not that it doesn't taste great as soon as it's done simmering. 😉 This really is a hug in a bowl!
How to make chicken stew
- Sauté the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic for 5-7 minutes;
- Stir in the flour, cook for about a minute, and then add the broth, cream, Italian seasoning, mushrooms, potatoes, and chicken;
- Simmer for 25 minutes or until veggies are tender;
- Take the chicken out and cut it up, add it back in, season the soup to taste, and serve it up!
(Full ingredients and instructions are in the recipe card below)
This chicken breast stew has plenty of vegetables, so it's a good choice to feed your family when cold/flu season is upon us!
Recipe notes & tips:
- The cream in here keeps the chicken moist and gives the stew a nice and slightly richer texture and flavor, but if you can't have dairy, it should be ok to leave it out. I personally would keep it in if possible (it's only 1/2 cup among six portions so not a big calorie concern). Using milk or half-and-half there's a chance it'll curdle due to the high heat and length of cooking time.
- You can easily make it a chicken thigh stew. Bonus: chicken thighs are less likely to dry out!
- If you're not a fan of mushrooms, feel free to leave them out.
- I used a 5.5 quart pot, and it was fairly full. The chicken was just submerged in the liquid when I added it in, which is fine - it doesn't need to be perfectly covered.
- This chicken stew can be frozen. I recommend reheating it on a low heat.
Other comforting chicken recipes you'll love:
- Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Chicken Bacon Gnocchi
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Easy Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Will you make this simple chicken stew recipe?
Questions? Made this recipe? I'd love it if you left me a comment below.
Easy Chicken Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 3 medium carrots peeled & sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth/stock
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 2 dashes Italian seasoning
- 7 ounces mushrooms (use white or cremini) sliced
- 2 large Russet potatoes peeled & diced
- 1.5 pounds chicken breasts
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the oil, butter, onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to a large soup pot. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and let it cook for about a minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth, cream, and Italian seasoning, followed by the mushrooms, potatoes, and chicken.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the stew to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat and simmer (lid off) for 25 minutes (veggies will be tender and liquid will have thickened a bit).
- Take the chicken out and cut it up/shred it. Add it back in, then season the stew with salt & pepper to taste.
- This isn't a super thick stew. It's got quite a soupy texture (especially day 1). For leftovers it definitely thickens up a bit.
- I used 4 large chicken breasts weighing around 1.7 pounds (anything around 1.5 pounds is fine). Feel free to use chicken thighs. The meat is more likely to stay tender, especially after reheating.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.