This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This rustic Crockpot chicken stew recipe is healthy, flavorful, and filling. Let your slow cooker do all the work – the prep time is only 5 minutes!
This chicken stew recipe uses everyday pantry ingredients and is wholesome and sticks to your ribs!
How to make slow cooker chicken stew
Add the liquid ingredients, dried herbs, and garlic powder to your Crockpot and give it a good stir. Add the remaining ingredients (except for cornstarch and salt & pepper) and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
I cooked this simple Crockpot chicken stew for seven hours, but if you’re out of the house for longer, it would not be an issue to let it cook more. I just threw the potatoes into the Crockpot without cutting them, but feel free to cut them in half if you want. Same goes for the mushrooms and carrots.
I did put some white wine in this recipe. I think it adds a delicious touch to the sauce. You can leave it out if you prefer.
What cut of chicken to use in stew?
Chicken thighs are a good choice for slow cooking, so that’s my top suggestion. Chicken breast dries out if you cook it for too long, so if you’re planning on cooking this 6+ hours, I suggest using chicken thighs in this old fashioned chicken vegetable stew. Either boneless, skinless or bone-in would work fine.
This healthy slow cooker chicken stew recipe makes a lot of tasty sauce. I added in some cornstarch to thicken up the sauce a bit about 20 minutes prior to serving it.
The batch pictured made six delicious work lunches for my husband and me. Beats packing a sandwich or accessing my emergency stash of Mr. Noodles haha. 😉
You may also like my stove top easy chicken stew.
I hope you will give this easy Crockpot chicken stew a try!
Questions? Leave them for me in the comments below.
Crockpot Chicken Stew
- 2 (10 fluid ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 pounds little potatoes
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 pound baby cut carrots
- 7 ounces pearl button mushrooms
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Add the liquid ingredients (chicken broth, olive oil, white wine, and Worcestershire sauce) and then the Italian seasoning and garlic powder to your slow cooker. Stir to ensure the seasonings are mixed in properly.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except for cornstarch and salt & pepper). Mix well and ensure that the chicken is covered by the liquid.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low heat. Add cornstarch about 15-20 minutes prior to serving. I mixed it with about a cup of the sauce prior to adding it in to avoid any lumps, and then cranked the heat to high for the remaining time. Add salt & pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.
- It's up to you how much you chop the veggies and potatoes - I preferred a more rustic style, so I left the carrots and little potatoes as-is.
- This recipe makes great leftovers.
- This is the 7-quart Crockpot I used to make this recipe.
- If you prefer using chicken breasts, I suggest cooking it for 6 hours on low so they don't dry out too much.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.