Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
These cream cheese mashed potatoes are fabulously creamy and buttery with a hint of of tanginess. This restaurant-style side dish is simple to make, and everyone will want seconds.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes
- 8 ounces cream cheese (1 block Philly) softened
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened
- 1/4 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup scallions chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
I recommend taking the cream cheese and the butter out of the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to starting the recipe, but if you forget, you can microwave the cream cheese for 20-30 seconds (the butter will melt easily enough).
I didn't peel the Yukon Gold's I used for this recipe, but you can if you prefer (or peel half of them). Cut the potatoes into halves (or thirds if they're large). Add them to a large pot of salted water and boil until a sharp knife easily pierces them.
Meanwhile, while the potatoes are boiling, add the cream cheese, butter, cream, garlic, scallions, and salt & pepper to a small saucepan over low heat. Let it slowly warm through (turn off the heat once it's warm or it'll get too thick). Give it a stir occasionally, but don't worry if the cream cheese doesn't completely melt in.
Drain the potatoes and leave them in the pot. Pour in half the cream cheese mixture and mash them a bit then add the other half and finish mashing until it's all incorporated and creamy. Try not to over-mash or they may end up gluey.
Serve potatoes with extra pats of butter on top if you like.
- Serves 6-8 depending on portion size. Or less if you're like me and eat like 5 portions at once.
- Feel free to leave out the garlic or scallions (or add more of each!).
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 357kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 351mg | Potassium: 769mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 876IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 1mg