Chicken Taco Soup
This chicken taco soup recipe has a flavorful Rotel tomato cream cheese broth, black beans, corn, and plenty of tender chicken. It's fast and easy to make!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 (10 fluid ounce) cans Ro-tel diced tomatoes & green chilies with juices
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can corn drained
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 (8 ounce) block of cream cheese (I used Philly) softened
- 2 cups cooked/rotisserie chicken shredded
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Toppings (optional): shredded Tex-Mex cheese blend, avocado, cilantro, tortilla strips, etc.
Take the cream cheese out of the fridge at least an hour ahead of time to let it soften up, or microwave it for 20-30 seconds until it's soft.
Add the oil and onion to a soup pot and sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
Add all the remaining soup ingredients to the pot except for the cream cheese, chicken, and salt & pepper.
Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Turn down the heat so it's simmering gently (uncovered) for 5 minutes. While the soup cooks, prep your toppings.
Cut the cream cheese into smaller pieces and add it to the soup. Let it melt in (you may have to stir it a fair bit until it's fully incorporated).
Stir in the chicken and cook for another 5-7 minutes or so until it's warmed through.
Season the soup with salt & pepper and serve with toppings as desired.
- Serves 4-6.
- If you have any concerns with salt, use low-salt broth.
- If you're not using Rotel diced tomatoes, you can use regular ones, but I suggest adding a can or two of diced green chilies as well (the 4 oz. size ones) since it really makes a difference in the way the soup tastes.
- See blog post for Instant Pot & Crockpot adaptation suggestions.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 966mg | Potassium: 780mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1507IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 112mg | Iron: 4mg