Easy Chicken and Gravy
This chicken and gravy recipe has tender pan fried chicken breasts smothered in a rich gravy. It's made with pantry ingredients and comes together fast!
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped (optional)
Cut the chicken in half lengthwise so you've got 4 thinner cutlets. Season each piece with salt & pepper and the garlic powder.
Add the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. Let the pan heat up for a few minutes.
Add the chicken to the pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes/side until golden. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining butter to the skillet, and once it's melted, stir in the flour and cook for about a minute.
Slowly whisk in the chicken broth until the flour has fully dissolved.
Stir in the Italian seasoning and onion powder.
Add the chicken back to the skillet (along with any juices from the plate), and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until it has finished cooking through (165F) and the sauce has thickened up a bit more. You may need to turn the head down again so it's gently bubbling (you don't want the sauce to get too thick before the chicken is cooked through).
Season with salt & pepper as needed. Sprinkle with fresh parsley if using, and serve immediately.
- Use an instant read meat thermometer to ensure that chicken isn't overcooked or undercooked.
- If you want a stronger herb flavor in the gravy, you can definitely add more Italian seasoning or other dried herbs. Chopped fresh herbs would also be a great addition (try sage, thyme, and/or rosemary).
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 255kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 476mg | Potassium: 477mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 381IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1mg