This chicken and gravy recipe has tender pan fried chicken breasts smothered in a rich gravy. It's made with pantry ingredients and comes together fast!
Love gravy? It's kinda hard not to. It's just so comforting. And super easy to make. It's basically just pan drippings (in this case the delicious brown bits left in the pan from searing the chicken), butter, flour, and some chicken broth. I added a bit of Italian seasoning and onion powder for more flavor, and that's it.
This chicken with gravy recipe is great for busy weeknights, and while it's not exactly what I'd consider health food, the calories are reasonable for a hearty dinner to keep in your regular recipe rotation. If you're the type of person who always orders gravy at KFC or whose favorite part of Thanksgiving is the meat and gravy, I think you'll like this one. 😉
Recipe notes & tips:
- This is a pretty basic gravy that's designed to work with what you already have in your pantry. You can definitely dress it up a bit... add a pinch of dried/ground sage or even add some chopped up fresh herbs to it.
- I used fairly large chicken breasts since we're cutting them in half lengthwise. If your chicken breasts are on the smaller side, you can leave them intact, but keep in mind they will take a bit longer to cook. An instant read meat thermometer will ensure perfectly cooked chicken every time (165F in the safe internal temperature for chicken).
- You can swap the boneless skinless chicken breasts for chicken thighs. Cooking time may need to be adjusted.
- Here is the Le Creuset skillet I used for this recipe (and many others). It's my favorite. Easy to clean and it'll last you forever.
- I recommend using kitchen tongs to easily turn the chicken (or whatever meat you happen to be cooking in other recipes).
What to serve with chicken & gravy:
Try mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta (egg noodles would work great). Or some fresh crusty bread to mop up all that sauce. For veggie sides, my personal favorites include green beans, broccoli (or broccolini), Brussels sprouts, or carrots.
Other tasty chicken recipes to try:
Will you make this chicken breasts and gravy recipe? Questions? Made this recipe? Talk to me in the comments below!
Easy Chicken and Gravy
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped (optional)
- Cut the chicken in half lengthwise so you've got 4 thinner cutlets. Season each piece with salt & pepper and the garlic powder.
- Add the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. Let the pan heat up for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes/side until golden. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining butter to the skillet, and once it's melted, stir in the flour and cook for about a minute.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth until the flour has fully dissolved.
- Stir in the Italian seasoning and onion powder.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet (along with any juices from the plate), and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until it has finished cooking through (165F) and the sauce has thickened up a bit more. You may need to turn the head down again so it's gently bubbling (you don't want the sauce to get too thick before the chicken is cooked through).
- Use an instant read meat thermometer to ensure that chicken isn't overcooked or undercooked.
- If you want a stronger herb flavor in the gravy, you can definitely add more Italian seasoning or other dried herbs. Chopped fresh herbs would also be a great addition (try sage, thyme, and/or rosemary).
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.