Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
This creamy chicken tortilla soup recipe is flavorful, comforting, and comes together fast. It's ready in about 30 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10 fluid ounce) can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies with juices
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can corn drained
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 2 cups cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Toppings (optional, to taste): tortilla strips, avocado, sour cream, Tex-Mex cheese, etc.
Add the oil and onion to a soup pot and sauté over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or until it's lightly browned.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes, Rotel, and chicken broth, followed by the garlic powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, corn, and black beans. Stir well and increase the heat to high.
Once the soup has come to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer with the pot covered (lid slightly ajar) for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, prep the toppings.
Stir in the cream and chicken and let it warm through for 3-5 minutes. Taste and season with salt & pepper as needed (I am generous with both).
Serve immediately and top bowls as desired.
- I don't recommend subbing the canned tomatoes for another variety because it adds thickness/body to the soup.
- I don't recommend subbing the cream for something with a lower fat percentage because the tomatoes are likely to curdle it.
- If you don't have Rotel or don't want some pieces of tomato in the soup, you can leave it out and include a 4 ounce can of diced green chilies instead.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 425kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 89mg | Sodium: 478mg | Potassium: 985mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1309IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 5mg