Canned Mackerel Salad
This canned mackerel salad recipe is quick and simple to make and delicious in sandwiches or wraps. It's a tasty alternative to tuna salad!
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mackerel drained, see note
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice + zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 stick celery chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers drained & chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons red onion or scallions chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons cucumber chopped (optional, see note)
- Salt & pepper to taste
Prep the ingredients and add them to a bowl. Gently mash/stir together. Give it a taste and adjust ingredients as needed (e.g. add more lemon juice or salt & pepper).
Serve in a sandwich, wrap, lettuce wraps, etc.
- Makes about 2 sandwiches (up to 4 if you don't fill them much). To halve the recipe, use 1 can of mackerel and halve each ingredient (it's fine to eyeball this recipe... it's very flexible).
- Mackerel taste/quality can vary a lot from brand-to-brand. The best one I've tried is King Oscar.
- Skip the cucumber if you don't plan on eating it right away (it'll make it more watery if it sits).
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 378kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 14g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 101mg | Sodium: 764mg | Potassium: 325mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 786IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 293mg | Iron: 3mg