This canned mackerel salad recipe is quick and simple to make and delicious in sandwiches or wraps. It's a tasty alternative to tuna salad!
If you're thinking about what to make with canned mackerel, try this easy recipe. If you like canned mackerel and you enjoy tuna salad, chances are that you will like this too.
How to make canned mackerel salad (overview):
Prep your ingredients. To a bowl, add the mackerel (drain it then flake it with a fork if desired), mayo, mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest, celery, capers, red onion, parsley, and cucumber. Gently mix together, then and adjust ingredients if needed and add salt & pepper to taste. (Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below)
Recipe notes & tips:
- Canned mackerel can vary a lot in taste depending on the brand. My favorite brand that I've tried of canned mackerel is King Oscar. It's milder and less "fishy" tasting than some brands. This post is NOT sponsored... this is the brand I liked best when testing this recipe.
- This recipe is very flexible! Feel free to add/adjust/omit ingredients as needed.
- You could swap the capers for chopped pickles or relish.
- Sun-dried tomatoes would go great in here if you have some on hand.
- A couple dashes of hot sauce would make a tasty addition too!
- I used my Microplane to zest the lemon.
What to serve with canned mackerel salad?
Anything that you'd add to a tuna salad sandwich, for example, will work. Lettuce, tomato, sprouts, even a slice of cheddar. You can't go wrong with pickles or potato chips on the side.
More delicious sandwich fillings:
Questions about this canned mackerel salad? Talk to me in the comments below!
Canned Mackerel Salad
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mackerel drained, see note
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice + zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 stick celery chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers drained & chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons red onion or scallions chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons cucumber chopped (optional, see note)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prep the ingredients and add them to a bowl. Gently mash/stir together. Give it a taste and adjust ingredients as needed (e.g. add more lemon juice or salt & pepper).
- Serve in a sandwich, wrap, lettuce wraps, etc.
- Makes about 2 sandwiches (up to 4 if you don't fill them much). To halve the recipe, use 1 can of mackerel and halve each ingredient (it's fine to eyeball this recipe... it's very flexible).
- Mackerel taste/quality can vary a lot from brand-to-brand. The best one I've tried is King Oscar.
- Skip the cucumber if you don't plan on eating it right away (it'll make it more watery if it sits).
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.