This smashed chickpea salad sandwich recipe is healthy, satisfying, fresh, and delicious! A quick and easy light meal idea.
This chickpea sandwich is gooood. It's not hard to make at all, but the flavor payoff is spot-on. So, if you're looking for something a bit different, try this. I basically made a quick chickpea avocado salad with some spices, onion, lemon, and a bit of mayo and grainy mustard, then added it to bread with some fresh veggies. YUM.
The radish sprouts have a distinctive sharp flavor that goes really well in this sandwich. If you can't find them, you could try watercress or alfalfa sprouts. I found them at Safeway, so I'm pretty sure they're readily available in the US and here in Canada.
As always, use whatever veggies make your tastebuds happy. 🙂
This simple chickpea salad recipe definitely isn't another boring sandwich. I make veggie sandwiches at home sometimes, and I find that I'm often hungry shortly after eating them.
That's probably because I usually don't include any sort of protein. Chickpeas make these sandwiches wonderfully filling, so you won't have that problem!
I know I'll be making these again. And again.
Hope you'll try this vegetarian chickpea salad sandwich!
Let me know in the comments below if you have.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Recipe
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can chickpeas drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red onion chopped finely
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 heaped tablespoon mayo or to taste
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard (such as Maille Old Style mustard)
- 1 avocado chopped
- 4 slices bread toast if you wish
- Sliced tomato to taste
- Radish sprouts to taste
- Arugula to taste
- Lettuce (I used butter leaf) to taste
- Add the chickpeas to a medium bowl and coarsely mash them (I actually used my potato masher to do this).
- Add the lemon juice, red onion, cumin, smoked paprika, salt & pepper, mayo, grainy mustard, and avocado to the bowl. Mix it together gently.
- Toast your bread if you wish. Add the chickpea salad, tomato, radish sprouts, lettuce, and arugula to each sandwich. Enjoy!
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.