This smashed chickpea salad sandwich recipe is possibly your new favorite sandwich. It's healthy, satisfying, fresh, and a quick and easy light meal idea with incredible flavor!
Are you a fan of chickpeas? Try my Vegan Sweet Potato Curry.
The ultimate chickpea salad sandwich
Sometimes I just crave a big, healthy sandwich that's overflowing with so much goodness that I can barely hold it in my hands. In my opinion, if a sandwich is so packed that it's falling apart, you know it's good. And that craving isn't satisfied until I make this chickpea sandwich.
This vegetarian sandwich recipe is so simple to make with pantry ingredients and has a delicious flavor payoff. You take a homemade chickpea salad, dress it up with a bright and lemony homemade mayo-mustard dressing with warm spices, add in creamy avocado, and then assemble it between slices of bread with fresh toppings. It's the best!
Ingredients you'll need
- Chickpeas - canned chickpeas are elevated in this simple recipe. They're filling and have lots of protein.
- Lemon juice - for brightness. Add a little more if you like a more tangy quality!
- Onion - red onion is the best variety for salads and sandwiches since it's not as sharp
- Cumin & smoked paprika - this duo brings so much incredible flavor! If you're wondering, they're not spicy.
- Mayo - we're using a little bit to keep the salad moist and a little creamy. This is a vegetarian sandwich, but if you need to make it vegan, use vegan mayo no problem.
- Mustard - I love a grainy mustard for added texture and a zingy taste
- Avocado - for extra creaminess
- Bread - honestly, whatever you normally eat is great. I chose a sliced whole grain, but this would work on everything from a croissant to brioche. You can toast the bread first if you like added crunch.
How to make it
This is an overview, and full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Add the chickpeas to a medium bowl, and mash them coarsely. You can use a fork or even a potato masher.
- Then add in the lemon juice, red onion, cumin, smoked paprika, salt & pepper, mayo, grainy mustard, and avocado to the bowl. Mix it together gently.
- Toast your bread if you wish. Add the chickpea salad and additional toppings like sliced tomato, radish sprouts, lettuce, and arugula to each sandwich. Serve immediately!
What can I top it with?
- I like tomato, radish sprouts, arugula, and butter lettuce.
- Of course, you can go to town with your favorite toppings that you usually have for a fresh sandwich. Use whatever veggies make your tastebuds happy! Cucumber, fresh herbs, anything. Dill pickles? Why not.
- I do love the contrast the radish sprouts give, but if you can't find them, alfalfa sprouts or watercress are excellent too.
Leftovers and storage
- I do prefer this chickpea salad when it's freshly made, but it can work for leftovers if you make the chickpea mixture without the avocado. It'll last 3-4 days in the fridge just fine that way in an airtight container.
- I recommend adding fresh sliced avocado to the sandwich when you're ready to eat if you go that route for the creamy aspect.
- The chickpeas may absorb some of the moisture over time, so you may need to revive it with a bit of mayo.
I hope you'll try this vegetarian chickpea sandwich! Let me know in the comments below if you have any questions. You can also find me on Instagram to show me your creations.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Recipe
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can chickpeas drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red onion chopped finely
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 heaped tablespoon mayo or to taste
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard (such as Maille Old Style mustard)
- 1 avocado chopped
- 4 slices bread toast if you wish
- Sliced tomato to taste
- Radish sprouts to taste
- Arugula to taste
- Lettuce (I used butter leaf) to taste
- Add the chickpeas to a medium bowl and coarsely mash them (I actually used my potato masher to do this).
- Add the lemon juice, red onion, cumin, smoked paprika, salt & pepper, mayo, grainy mustard, and avocado to the bowl. Mix it together gently.
- Toast your bread if you wish. Add the chickpea salad, tomato, radish sprouts, lettuce, and arugula to each sandwich. Enjoy!
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.