This buffalo chicken salad recipe is perfect for making the most delicious sandwiches with your favorite hot wing flavors!
I had fun with this recipe. Eating hot wings for lunch isn't always practical, so why not try a play on chicken salad so you can pack a mean lunch? Like your standard chicken salad, it has a creamy base. I combined mayo and blue cheese dressing with a dash of Frank's Red Hot Sauce to give that signature flavor. A bit of celery and some onions add a little crunch. Add it to some bread with a little bit of lettuce, and you've got a fast and tasty sandwich!
How to make buffalo chicken salad (overview):
Add the dressing ingredients to a medium bowl and mix together until smooth. Add in the chopped cooked chicken, celery, and onions, and combine. Taste & adjust if needed and season with salt & pepper. Serve in sandwiches, wraps, or even by itself or in lettuce cups for a low-carb option. (Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below)
Recipe notes & tips:
- Any cooked chicken (like if you have leftovers) works for this recipe. I used a combo of light and dark meat from a rotisserie chicken. Easy peasy. Got an Instant Pot? Try my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken.
- You can add some blue cheese crumbles in if you want a stronger blue cheese flavor.
- I deliberately left this recipe fairly mild so it can be enjoyed by anyone, but if you want more spice, I recommend tasting and adding more Frank's Red Hot until you achieve your desired level of spice.
- Use whatever your favorite brand of blue cheese dressing is. I used one from Renée's (a popular salad dressing brand here in Canada). And Hellmann's is my go-to mayo.
- Leftovers will keep 3-5 days in the fridge.
You may also like...
- Easy Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Questions about this buffalo chicken salad recipe? Let me know in the comments below!
Buffalo Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked/rotisserie chicken diced/chopped
- 1 stick celery chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons red onion or scallions chopped
- 1/4 cup blue cheese dressing
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 1 tablespoon Frank's Red Hot Original Sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- For serving: 8 slices bread, lettuce, etc.
- Prep all the ingredients, then add the dressing ingredients to a prep bowl (blue cheese dressing, mayo, Frank's Red Hot, lemon juice) and stir together until smooth.
- Add in the cooked chicken, celery, and onions. Toss together. Taste and adjust ingredients if needed (you may want to add more hot sauce or blue cheese dressing, for example) and season with salt & pepper as needed. This chicken salad isn't very spicy as written.
- Assemble sandwiches/wraps/etc. or enjoy as-is.
- Makes 4 sandwiches that are reasonably filled... if you want larger sandwiches or more filling, it'll make 2-3.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. Some blue cheese dressings contain more calories than the one listed in this calorie calculator.