This buffalo chicken salad recipe is perfect for making the most delicious sandwiches with your favorite hot wing flavors! Have a bold and flavorful lunch on your table in just 15 minutes.
Can't get enough of these flavors? Try my Buffalo Chicken Meatballs, Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Pasta, or this Buffalo Chicken Soup next!
Why you'll love it
I'm always a fan of a Classic Chicken Salad, but sometimes it's great to change it up! I definitely had fun with this recipe. Eating hot wings for lunch isn't always practical, so why not try a play on chicken salad so you can pack a mean lunch? It's creamy and of course has that signature buffalo wing taste from Frank's Red Hot for the ultimate chicken salad sandwiches!
This is one of those recipes that's fantastic for a hassle-free lunch. It's quick and easy to make with rotisserie or leftover chicken, keeps well, and you can transport it easily. Bring it to potlucks, picnics, and more! Everyone will enjoy the zesty flavors.
What you'll need
- Chicken - use cooked Shredded Chicken, rotisserie, or leftover. I used a combo of light and dark meat from a rotisserie chicken. You can even use canned chicken if that's all you have.
- Celery - for a satisfying crunch
- Onion - red onion is best for salads. Scallions work too for a pop of freshness.
- Blue cheese dressing - for that cooling effect. Use whatever your favorite brand is. I used one from Renée's (a popular salad dressing brand here in Canada). If you don't like blue cheese, try buttermilk ranch.
- Mayo - for creaminess. I always use Hellmann's
- Hot sauce - we're using Frank's Red Hot Original Sauce. Make sure you're using this variety!
- Lemon juice - to add a little brightness and acidity. Always use freshly squeezed.
- You can definitely add some blue cheese crumbles in if you want a stronger blue cheese flavor.
- I deliberately left this recipe fairly mild so it can be enjoyed by anyone, but if you want more it more spicy, I recommend tasting and adding more Frank's Red Hot until you achieve your desired level of heat!
How to make buffalo chicken salad
This is an overview with step-by-step photos. Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below.
Prep your ingredients. Add the dressing ingredients to a medium bowl, and mix together until smooth.
Stir in the chopped cooked chicken, celery, and onions, and combine. Taste and adjust if needed. Season with salt & pepper, and enjoy!
What to serve with it
- I like it as a buffalo chicken salad sandwich simply with some lettuce for an extra crunch. It would work great in wraps or pita bread as well.
- It's also tasty on its own or over a bed of lettuce for a low carb option.
- If you want to make it a soup and sandwich combo, try a sandwich with this Cheesy Potato Soup!
Leftovers and storage
- This salad keeps very well. Store it in the fridge for 3-5 days in an airtight container.
- Feel free to add a hint of mayo or dressing to revive leftovers if necessary.
- If it's been sitting out for more than two hours, I would dispose of it.
More easy lunch recipes
Questions about this recipe? Let me know in the comments below! I'd also love to hear from you if you made it.
Buffalo Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked/rotisserie chicken diced/chopped
- 1 stick celery chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons red onion or scallions chopped
- 1/4 cup blue cheese dressing
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 1 tablespoon Frank's Red Hot Original Sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- For serving: 8 slices bread, lettuce, etc.
- Prep all the ingredients, then add the dressing ingredients to a prep bowl (blue cheese dressing, mayo, Frank's Red Hot, lemon juice) and stir together until smooth.
- Add in the cooked chicken, celery, and onions. Toss together. Taste and adjust ingredients if needed (you may want to add more hot sauce or blue cheese dressing, for example) and season with salt & pepper as needed. This chicken salad isn't very spicy as written.
- Assemble sandwiches/wraps/etc. or enjoy as-is.
- Makes 4 sandwiches that are reasonably filled... if you want larger sandwiches or more filling, it'll make 2-3.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. Some blue cheese dressings contain more calories than the one listed in this calorie calculator.
Yummy! Made it with rotisserie chicken & subbed ranch, as I’m not a fan of blue cheese. Be generous with the hot sauce - I probably used 2-3x more than listed. Served with lettuce on hawaiian sweet rolls - the sweet/spicy/crunchy/soft combo was a winner!
Love that! Glad you enjoyed it!
Hi Natasha! Recipe looks great but my bf does not like blue cheese dressing. Do you have any suggestions for a substitute? Thanks!
Haven’t tried this recipe yet, but can it be made using canned chicken as well???
Hi Maya! I don't see why not. 🙂 I'd be sure to drain it well if needed. Let me know how it goes!