Vegan Thai Lemongrass Coconut Curry Soup
A light and fresh soup with spiralized sweet potato, zucchini, and celery root vegetable "noodles".
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemongrass finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 3.5 cups vegetable broth or water (see note)
- 3 heaping tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- Juice of 1/2 lime + lime wedges for serving
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled & spiralized on medium setting
- 1 medium zucchini spiralized on medium setting
- 1 small celery root (celeriac) peeled & spiralized on medium setting
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Handful fresh basil torn
- Fresh cilantro chopped, to taste (optional)
Chop the lemongrass and onion. Spiralize the sweet potato, zucchini, and celery root.
Add the olive oil to a pot on medium-high heat. Sauté the lemongrass, onion, and ginger for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
Add the vegetable broth, curry paste, and lime juice. Stir until combined.
Add the spiralized sweet potato, zucchini, and celery root. Cover the pot with the lid slightly ajar and cook for 5 minutes.
Stir in the coconut milk and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Season with salt & pepper and add the fresh basil and cilantro (if using).
Serve soup with an extra wedge of lime on the side.
- You can do a combination of vegetable broth and water or a stock cube and water if needed. If you're not vegetarian, you could instead use chicken broth.
- How to prep the lemongrass: Cut the dry ends off the stalk, then use your hands to peel the tough outer "shell" of the stalk. Discard that outer shell. Use a knife to slice the newly revealed inner stalk. You can then easily chop those slices up finely.
- I keep my ginger in the freezer. It's very easy to grate when frozen. I grate it straight into the pan.
- I use Thai Kitchen red curry paste in this recipe. It's vegan. Some others contain fish ingredients so just make sure to read the label if that's an issue.
- I use the Paderno 4-Blade Spiralizer.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 382kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Sodium: 1034mg | Potassium: 1078mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 10394IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 140mg | Iron: 5mg