Creamy White Chicken Chili
This easy white chicken chili recipe is creamy, hearty, comforting, and the perfect thing to serve at family gatherings or on game day.
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts cut into small bite-size pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (4 fluid ounce) cans mild chopped green chilis with juices
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 (14 fluid ounce) cans white beans drained
- 4.4 ounces cream cheese (1/2 block of Philly) softened
- Salt & pepper to taste
Toppings (optional, to taste):
- Lime juice
- Avocado chopped
- Cilantro chopped
- Tex-Mex cheese blend
- Tortilla strips
Sauté the onion in a large pot for 5-7 minutes over medium-high heat (ok if onion lightly browned).
Add the chicken pieces and cook, stirring often, until they're no longer pink on the outside.
Stir in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
Add the remaining ingredients except for the cream cheese. Increase the heat and bring the chili to a boil. Reduce the heat so it's simmering, and cook for 10 minutes.
Add in the cream cheese and let it melt (help it along by breaking it up with your spoon). Cook for another 8-10 minutes or so until the cream cheese has nicely incorporated into the sauce and it's warmed through.
Season chili with salt & pepper as needed. Serve it up and and top as desired.
- I used about 1 pound of chicken breasts in this recipe. You can use cooked chicken in this recipe if you have some, but I would reduce cooking time so as not to overcook the chicken.
- I like the tanginess the cream cheese gives this recipe, but you could also use heavy cream if you wish (I'd start with 1/2 cup). I'd add some lime juice to compensate for the tanginess if you do this. Sour cream would also work if you don't have cream cheese.
- Serves 4-6.
- Want to make this recipe in your electric pressure cooker? Try my Instant Pot white chicken chili recipe.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 515kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 915mg | Potassium: 1598mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 821IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 231mg | Iron: 8mg