This Instant Pot creamy white chicken chili recipe is quick, incredibly flavorful, warming, and delicious. Ready in about half an hour!
This is an awesome game day recipe.
It's probably due to the fact that it's creamy. Yeah, I can't help myself.
Other than the way this recipe tastes, my favorite part is probably how fast it is. Being able to get this on the table in 30 minutes after a busy day at work is a good thing. I know I'm always ready to gnaw my arm off if I don't get something in my belly STAT.
This chili isn't too spicy, but it does have a bit of kick. If you do want to add some spice, I suggest adding a bit of cayenne pepper, using spicy green chilis (vs. the mild ones I used) or adding some chopped fresh jalapenos as toppings.
Pro tip: Leave the cream cheese sitting on the counter so it softens up while everything is cooking. That'll make the recipe even faster.
Don't own an Instant Pot? Make this creamy white chicken chili on the stove!
How to top white chicken chili
Add any/all of these tasty toppings would work:
- Lime wedges (I love to squeeze in extra lime juice!)
- Tortilla strips
- Jalapeno peppers
- Tex-Mex or Monterey Jack shredded cheese
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
Have you made chili in the Instant Pot before?
Questions about this recipe? Ask me in the comments below.
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (4 fluid ounce) cans mild chopped green chilis with juices
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 (14 fluid ounce) cans white beans drained
- 4.4 ounces cream cheese (1/2 block Philly) softened
- Salt & pepper to taste
Toppings (optional, to taste):
- Lime juice
- Avocado chopped
- Cilantro chopped
- Tex-Mex cheese blend
- Tortilla strips
- Sauté the onion in your Instant Pot for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic.
- Add the remaining chili ingredients to your Instant Pot except for the cream cheese.
- Give it a good stir, close the lid, set the valve on "sealing", and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. It'll take about 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to get up to pressure. I like to prep the toppings while it's getting up to pressure and cooking.
- Once the countdown has finished, do a quick pressure release.
- Take the chicken out of the Instant Pot. Add the cream cheese to the Instant Pot and press the "sauté" button so it heats through. Meanwhile, shred the chicken using 2 forks. Stir the chili until the cream cheese nicely incorporates into the sauce (this may take a few minutes). Add the chicken back into the Instant Pot and give it a good stir. Season with salt & pepper as needed.
- Serve chili into bowls and top with desired toppings.
- I used about 1 pound of chicken breasts in this recipe. Feel free to use chicken thighs instead.
- I like the tanginess the cream cheese gives to the chili, but you could also use heavy cream (I'd start with 1/2 cup). I'd add some lime juice to provide tanginess if you go this route. Sour cream also works in a pinch.
- If you want to double the recipe, keep cooking time the same.
- Makes 4 generous portions (especially with toppings).
- Want to make this recipe on the stove? Check out my stovetop creamy white chicken chili recipe instead.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.