This flavorful and easy white chicken chili recipe is creamy, hearty, comforting, and the perfect cozy family dinner.
This creamy white chicken chili may just be my favorite chili recipe yet. Like I mentioned on the Instant Pot version of this recipe, the fact that this chili is creamy probably has something to do with it. Natasha preferring creamy recipes? No way. 😛
This white chili is not what I'd describe as spicy, but it does have a bit of personality to it.
How to make white chicken chili (overview):
Sauté the onion until lightly browned in a fairly large pot, then add in the chicken pieces and cook for a few minutes. Stir in the garlic, followed by the chicken broth, chopped green chilis, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and white beans. Simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in the cream cheese and continue to cook for another 10 minutes or so. (Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below)
Recipe notes & tips:
- If you do want to kick up the spice a notch, I recommend using spicy green chilis (I buy the mild ones), and/or adding some cayenne pepper and/or chopped jalapeno peppers.
- Texture-wise, this chili is closer to a soup than anything, really. Some chilis are fairly dry - this is not one of them.
- This chili makes four pretty generous portions (six if you really top 'em and eat smaller portions), so I suggest doubling the recipe if you have more hungry mouths to feed.
- To make things go smoother, leave the cream cheese sitting on your counter so it softens up while the chili is cooking (or microwave it until it's soft).
Can I use cooked chicken in this white chicken chili?
Yes, but I would reduce cooking time so the chicken doesn't overcook (reduce it by at least 5 minutes).
What kind of beans do I use in white chicken chili?
I used your standard white (cannellini) beans, but I've also seen navy beans used.
Creamy white chicken chili toppings:
- Lime wedges (I love to squeeze in extra lime juice!)
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Tortilla strips
- Tex-Mex blend or Monterey Jack shredded cheese
- Chopped avocado
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
More easy chicken recipes to try:
- Easy Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Easy Chicken Stew
- Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Easy Chicken Taco Soup
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Cream Cheese Chicken
I wholeheartedly believe this is the best white chicken chili recipe. 😉 Will you give it a try?
Questions? Let me know in the comments below!
Creamy White Chicken Chili
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts cut into small bite-size pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (4 fluid ounce) cans mild chopped green chilis with juices
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 (14 fluid ounce) cans white beans drained
- 4.4 ounces cream cheese (1/2 block of Philly) softened
- Salt & pepper to taste
Toppings (optional, to taste):
- Lime juice
- Avocado chopped
- Cilantro chopped
- Tex-Mex cheese blend
- Tortilla strips
- Sauté the onion in a large pot for 5-7 minutes over medium-high heat (ok if onion lightly browned).
- Add the chicken pieces and cook, stirring often, until they're no longer pink on the outside.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the cream cheese. Increase the heat and bring the chili to a boil. Reduce the heat so it's simmering, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in the cream cheese and let it melt (help it along by breaking it up with your spoon). Cook for another 8-10 minutes or so until the cream cheese has nicely incorporated into the sauce and it's warmed through.
- Season chili with salt & pepper as needed. Serve it up and and top as desired.
- I used about 1 pound of chicken breasts in this recipe. You can use cooked chicken in this recipe if you have some, but I would reduce cooking time so as not to overcook the chicken.
- I like the tanginess the cream cheese gives this recipe, but you could also use heavy cream if you wish (I'd start with 1/2 cup). I'd add some lime juice to compensate for the tanginess if you do this. Sour cream would also work if you don't have cream cheese.
- Serves 4-6.
- Want to make this recipe in your electric pressure cooker? Try my Instant Pot white chicken chili recipe.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.