This easy black bean chili recipe is fast and delicious! Load it up with your favorite toppings for a tasty family meal that makes great leftovers.
I have quite a few chili recipes on my blog now! I wanted to work through the big ones, so now I have a quick beef chili, an Instant Pot beef chili, turkey sweet potato chili, Instant Pot turkey chili, white chicken chili, and an Instant Pot white chicken chili.
Whew. Any other chili suggestions for me?? Let me know!
Anyway, this black bean beef chili is fast enough to cook during the week, but it's also one of those dishes that would be great to simmer on the stove on a Sunday before the big game. It's great for meal prep/leftovers.
Ideas for chili toppings:
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Tortilla strips
- Cheese (cheddar or Tex/Mex blend)
- Chopped jalapenos
How to make black bean chili:
Sauté the onion in a soup pot, then add the beef and brown it (break it up with your spoon as you go along). Spoon out excess fat. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, and spices, followed by the beans, tomatoes, chilis, red bell pepper, and beef broth. I suggest simmering it for at least 15 minutes. Top bowls as desired and enjoy!
It's simple, filling, and delicious!
Pro tip: if you want to give this chili some kick, add some cayenne pepper or use spicy green chilis.
You may also like my easy black bean soup.
Will you make this easy black bean chili? Questions? Let me know in the comments below.
Easy Black Bean Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 heaping tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 (15 fluid ounce) cans black beans drained
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 (4 fluid ounce) can mild green chilis with juices
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
Toppings (optional, to taste):
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Avocado chopped
- Tortilla strips
- Scallions chopped
- Tex-Mex cheese blend
- In a large pot, add the oil and onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook it until it's browned, breaking it up with your spoon as you go along.
- Spoon out and discard the excess beef fat.
- Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika.
- Add the beans, diced tomatoes, chilis, red pepper, and beef broth. Give it a good stir.
- Increase the heat and bring the chili to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat so it's nicely simmering for 15 minutes or so, giving it the occasional stir. You can definitely simmer it longer, but I recommend at least 15 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper as needed. Serve and top bowls as desired.
- Serves 4-6.
- Want to make this chili spicy? Add a 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Anything from 1 to 1.5 pounds ground beef will work fine.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.