Ham and Potato Soup Recipe
This ham and potato soup is simple, hearty, and healthy. It uses everyday ingredients, and this version has no dairy.
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound (approx.) smoked ham cut into small pieces
- 2.5 pounds Russet potatoes peeled & cut into 1" pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Salt & pepper to taste
Prep your celery, carrot, and onion and add them to a large soup pot with the olive oil. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, prep your ham and potatoes (or you can prep them at the start - it's up to you!).
Stir in the garlic, then add the ham, potatoes, Italian seasoning, chicken broth, and water to the pot. Increase the heat to high and bring it to a gentle boil. Cover the pot with the lid slightly ajar and reduce the heat so it's simmering. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are nice and tender (I like them to easily fall apart).
Using a potato masher, lightly mash some of the potatoes right in the pot. I like a mix of potato pieces and a bit of mash. Season with salt & pepper and serve immediately. This soup tastes even better the next day!
- Try the slow cooker version or the Instant Pot version of this recipe.
- Use low-sodium chicken broth if salt is a concern for you.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 1514mg | Potassium: 1168mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1698IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 3mg