My roasted sweet potato pitas with arugula and garlic dressing are a fresh, healthy, and comforting vegetarian meal. So satisfying that even meat eaters will love them!
I was inspired to make these pitas a few weeks ago, and I’m glad I finally got around to it! Full disclosure: I try to eat a good amount of veggies for health reasons, but I don’t always enjoy them. I can, however, confirm that I really, really loved these pitas, and I will definitely be making them again!
The lovely creamy textures of the sweet potato and avocado are balanced by the crunch of the arugula and onion. The flavor of the sweet potato is balanced by the peppery arugula, sharpness of the onion, and tang of the lemony garlic dressing. The pitas are filled with a fabulous medley of flavors, basically.
I try to make most of my recipes fairly easy, and these are no exception. Aside from peeling and slicing the sweet potato (a bit of a pain in the ass), the rest is a cinch. Once you’ve got your sweet potato cut up and tossed with olive oil, salt & pepper, garlic powder, and a bit of Italian seasoning, you throw it in the oven for half an hour and prep the rest.
The dressing is easy to whip up, and you don’t even need to dirty your blender. Just mix some minced garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt & pepper into Greek yogurt and you’ve got yourself a delicious garlicky sauce. I was inspired by the Lebanese garlic sauce that you get with chicken Shawarma. I wasn’t aiming to replicate that garlic sauce, but my version is delicious in its own right and is also much easier to make and a bit lighter.
I put all the toppings on top of each piece of pita bread and folded it over, but you could choose to cut the pita in half and stuff it if that works better for you. Anything goes. I did sprinkle the pitas in the photo with a little chopped fresh parsley. If you have parsley on hand, you can add it, but it won’t make or break these pitas.
I figured I better get my roasted veggie recipes on here before the weather warms up too much. I think these would work year-round, though. Using the oven for 30 minutes doesn’t heat your kitchen up that much, and sweet potatoes are available year-round these days. I think I’m getting ahead of myself with all my spring thoughts – it’s still February as I type this (although this will be posted in March), and it’s currently -15C/5F outside. Yuck.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy these roasted sweet potato pitas with arugula and garlic dressing! Let me know what you think of them – leave me a comment below.
Roasted Sweet Potato Pitas with Arugula and Garlic Dressing
Roasted sweet potato pitas with arugula and garlic dressing are a fresh, healthy, and comforting vegetarian meal.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Salt & pepper
- Red onion, sliced thinly, to taste
- 1/2 avocado, sliced, or to taste
- Arugula, to taste
- 2 pieces pita bread
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 4525F and move the rack to the middle position. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Peel and slice the sweet potato into 1/2" inch thick slices. Cut the larger slices into quarters. Place the pieces on the baking sheet and toss with a tablespoon or so of olive oil. Lightly sprinkle the pieces with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt & pepper. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and prep the onion, avocado, and arugula. I did toss the arugula with a tiny bit of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice for the photos. This step is optional.
- Once the sweet potatoes are ready, let them cool for a couple of minutes and then assemble your pitas. Serve immediately.
Courses Vegetarian Entree
Made one of my recipes? Tag me on IG @saltandlavender and hashtag #saltandlavender so I can see it 🙂
All images and content are © Salt & Lavender.