Avocado, tomato, and fried eggplant toast with smoky mayo isn't your average avocado toast. This is vegetarian comfort food right here!
You could eat this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Or brunch. A midnight snack. It's good anytime.
This toast is rich and delicious. The tomatoes and chives add freshness to the crispy-tender eggplant and creamy avocado. The smoky mayo perfectly complements the eggplant.
Eggplant is great. I want an eggplant farm.
Will you try this avocado, tomato, and fried eggplant toast with smoky mayo??
Avocado, Tomato, and Fried Eggplant Toast with Smoky Mayo
A fantastic vegetarian toast recipe with fried eggplant, avocado, tomatoes, chives, and a smoky mayo!
- 1 eggplant cut widthwise (into circles)
- Flour for dredging
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 to mato sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- Fresh chives chopped, to taste (optional)
- 4 slices of bread (I used a light rye)
For the smoky mayo:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke (I used hickory flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cut eggplant into circles and put into a large bowl. Sprinkle slices with salt and let sit 15-30 minutes until the bitter juice is released. I don't bother rinsing the slices before frying them because then they're nicely seasoned.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by combining mayo, liquid smoke, red wine vinegar, garlic powder, and salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Dredge eggplant slices in flour.
- Place a skillet on medium-high heat and add olive oil. Once the oil is warm, add the eggplant. Don't crowd the pan. You'll probably end up doing two batches. Fry on each side for a few minutes until they're nicely browned and cooked through. You may need to add more oil as the eggplant tends to absorb it.
- Meanwhile, prepare your tomato, avocado, and chives, and toast your bread.
- When everything is ready, assemble your toast and sprinkle chives on top. Add extra salt & pepper if desired.