This butter leaf lettuce salad with a lemon dill dressing, garlic croutons, hard-boiled eggs, and radishes is the perfect easy-to-make showstopping summer salad! Perfect for easy summer entertaining.
The store was out of my regular butter leaf lettuce, so I picked up some red battavia lettuce instead, which is actually quite similar in taste and texture. I also think it looks really nice in the photos.
I would definitely make this salad with a tender lettuce such as butter leaf, red battavia, or bibb vs. something like romaine.
I just fancied a nice dill dressing for some reason. I didn't want to make anything too complicated, so I whisked together some Dijon mustard, garlic, salt & pepper, and olive oil (my go-to vinaigrette), and then I added in some fresh chopped dill.
The dressing is light, but the Dijon and garlic nicely emulsify so it thickens up a bit.
As always, I use my mandoline slicer to slice the radishes paper-thin. I like to do this because I find radishes a bit too sharp when they're raw, and cutting them so thin takes a lot of that edge off. It's funny... for my last birthday my mom bought me this protective kitchen glove to use for things like grating or using a mandoline.
At first I was amused (I'm normally a minimalist in the kitchen), and then I tried it and realized it's a total game changer. I now slice small veggie (like radishes) on my mandoline with ease knowing that my fingers are safe. Here's a pair on Amazon if you're curious!
This salad makes me happy just looking at it, and it tastes even better! 😉
Will you make this tender lettuce salad?
Butter Leaf Lettuce Salad with a Lemon Dill Dressing
- 1 head butter leaf lettuce torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 small bunch radishes sliced paper-thin
- 2 eggs hard boiled
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1/3 baguette cut into croutons
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 heaping teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat over to 350F, and move the rack to the top position.
- Add the crouton ingredients to a baking sheet and toss together until evenly coated. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cook your eggs. I boiled mine for 8 minutes. Let them cool in cold water until you're ready to peel them & assemble the salad.
- Meanwhile, add all the dressing ingredients to a small bowl except for the olive oil and dill. Slowly whisk the oil in a little bit at a time until you have a nicely emulsified mixture. Add the dill in right before you're ready to serve the salad.
- Prep your radishes, parlsey, and lettuce, and add them to a large bowl. Peel & cut the eggs up into whatever size pieces you prefer. Add the croutons. Pour dressing over top or toss the salad together. Serve immediately.