This Cajun pasta salad recipe will brighten up any summer potluck, picnic, or BBQ! It has tender marinated chicken and a zesty creamy dressing.
This post is sponsored by Tony Chachere’s – thank you for supporting the brands that keep Salt & Lavender cooking! I only work with brands whose products I love. All opinions are my own.
For this recipe, I used Tony's Original Creole Seasoning and Tony's Creole Style Chicken Marinade... the perfect summer pair! Pasta salad season is back, and I'm excited. It's one of the best meals to eat outdoors, I'd say. 🙂
The chicken in this Creole pasta salad definitely has some kick. Remoulade is one of my favorite things about Cajun cooking, so I knew that I wanted the dressing to have that classic Louisiana taste. Tony's Creole Seasoning adds the most delicious savory flavors to it without having to add a whole heck of a lot else. The dressing also has a cooling touch from the sour cream, which is a great contrast to the spicy chicken.
I will just make a note that the chicken in this pasta is optional - you can definitely leave it out and make it vegetarian if you wish! It'll still be plenty delicious.
Cajun pasta salad ingredients
- Red onion
- Red pepper
- A homemade remoulade-style creamy dressing
You could definitely add other veggies or even some cheese to this Cajun macaroni salad if you like. There's no right or wrong here!
How to make Cajun pasta salad
- Marinate the chicken;
- Cook the macaroni and let it cool;
- Prep your onion, tomatoes, red pepper, and parsley.
- Make the dressing;
- Cook the chicken in your skillet;
- Assemble the pasta salad and enjoy right away or chill first.
Pro tip: You could grill the chicken if you prefer. After marinating it for 30 minutes, thread it onto skewers and then BBQ it.
Love Creole cooking? I worked with Tony's last year to make this delicious dirty rice dressing. I also have a sausage balls recipe featuring Tony Chachere's.
Will you give this Cajun macaroni salad recipe a try? I hope you're looking forward to summer as much as I am.
Questions? Let me know in the comments!
Cajun Pasta Salad
- 2 chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup Tony Chachere's Creole Style Chicken Marinade
- 2.5 cups uncooked macaroni
- 1/2 small red onion chopped
- 1 cup little tomatoes (grape, cherry) halved
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning
- If using chicken in this pasta salad, cut it up and add it to a bowl with Tony's Creole Style Chicken Marinade. Give it a good stir, then cover the bowl and refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
- Cook your pasta. Once it's done, rinse it with cool water and drain it thoroughly before adding it to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, prep your other ingredients and make the dressing. Combine the dressing ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth (mayo, sour cream, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and Tony's Creole Seasoning).
- Once the chicken is done marinating, add it to a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until the chicken is done (about 5-6 minutes), stirring fairly often. Take it off the heat and let it cool a bit.
- It's time to assemble your pasta salad! Add the remaining salad ingredients (onion, tomatoes, peppers, parsley), along with the chicken (spoon it out of the pan leaving any extra marinade behind) and dressing to the macaroni. Give it a good stir. You can eat it immediately or chill (make sure it's covered) for an hour first.
- Feel free to add extra veggies or some cheese to this pasta salad if you wish!
- I garnished this pasta salad with scallions, but that step is optional.
- This salad will last for a few days in the fridge.
- Serves 6+
Can you eat this warm?
Hi Ashley! You could definitely eat it right after adding the chicken (it'll still be a bit warm), but I think if you were to heat it up, the dressing may separate.
Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom says
This pasta salad looks amazing!!! LOVE!
Thank you so much!
Matt Robinson says
That seasoning and marinade sounds like the perfect combo! This is so perfect for every summer picnic.
Leigh Ann says
We love Tony's! What a perfect summer BBQ side dish!
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen says
I want to grab a fork and dig right in Natasha! This looks packed with flavor and absolutely delicious. You know what a fan I am of Tony's too!
Thank you Mary Ann! Yes, I love your recipes using their products. 🙂