Egg spread is a quick and simple mayo-free alternative to egg salad.
I've never been a huge fan of egg salad - even though I love mayo and creamy dishes, it's often just too rich for me. Ever since I was a kid, my mom used to make me her version. No mayo, just a little bit of butter.
Onions give it more flavor and a bit of crunch. She would always serve it on rye bread, open-faced sandwich style. I still make it that way for myself.
You probably have these ingredients on-hand already. I sometimes top these with capers. I realize that probably sounds weird to some of you but it's really good 😉
Questions? Let me know!
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon butter (I just eyeball it)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 small onion (or to taste) finely chopped
- 2-3 slices of bread
- Put butter in a bowl (it'll soften while the eggs are cooking if it came right from the fridge).
- Hard boil eggs.
- While eggs are cooking, chop onion.
- Once eggs are cooked, cool them in cold water for a few minutes then peel.
- Using a fork, mash eggs, butter, and salt & pepper together until mixed.
- Add onion and mix.
- Spread mixture onto bread and enjoy!
- If you're finding that the egg mixture isn't sticking together at all, add in a little more butter. You really don't need much butter for it to all stick together, though.
- Making it with chives instead of onions is a tasty alternative.
- I sometimes eat egg spread with a bowl of tomato soup. Easy weeknight dinner!