This Green Goddess chicken sandwich is a delicious way to use up leftover chicken (or leftover turkey!). Homemade Green Goddess dressing, smoky bacon, avocado, and crisp salad greens complete this tasty sandwich.
Not sure if Green Goddess dressing is making some sort of comeback or what (it was invented in the 1920s and really popular in the ’70s), but I keep seeing it. It’s a fairly basic recipe, and as always, I played with the ingredients until I achieved a taste that I liked. I fancied it on a sandwich, so that’s how this whole idea came about.
At first I envisioned a solely plant-based sandwich, but then I realized that the anchovies in the dressing would rule it out for vegetarians, so I went back to the drawing board. Leftover chicken is practically made for sandwiches, and bacon goes with everything… so the rest is history. 😉
The dressing is very herby, and the tarragon is definitely the predominant flavor. The anchovies provide the umami taste. Just like in Caesar dressing, you’re not left with something fishy tasting if it’s done right.
I suggest making this dressing a few hours ahead so the flavors have some time to settle and the dressing can thicken up in the fridge so it’s more easily spreadable. The recipe makes quite a bit of dressing – enough for several sandwiches and a salad or two you can enjoy later on in the week.
I used butter leaf lettuce and arugula for the greens in this Green Goddess chicken sandwich.
Avocado adds more moisture and creaminess, and it just makes most sandwiches that much better in my opinion. You can always play with the sandwich toppings to suit your tastes, of course.
Questions about this green goddess sandwich recipe?
Green Goddess Chicken Sandwich
A delicious sandwich with homemade green goddess dressing, bacon, and leftover chicken.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup loosely packed parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- 1/4 cup packed fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
Sandwich/toppings, to taste:
- Bread toasted
- Butter leaf lettuce
- Leftover or rotisserie chicken (or turkey)
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a food processor and blend until mixture is smooth. Anchovy paste is fairly salty, so keep that in mind when adding extra salt. Add to a jar and refrigerate until needed (best if refrigerated for at least a couple of hours).
- Fry bacon until crispy, toast the bread, spread the green goddess dressing on, and add desired toppings. Enjoy!
- I didn't put sandwich topping quantities because it's so subjective. Use as little or as much as you like. 🙂
- Makes about 1.5 cups dressing that can be kept in the fridge for several days.