This grilled eggplant and spinach salad makes a wonderfully fresh, healthy, and filling warm weather meal. The eggplant is smoky and delicious, and the smoked paprika in the lemony dressing enhances its flavor even more.
I love how this easy vegan spinach salad is just bursting with freshness and flavor. This definitely isn't a boring salad.
It's a great option for a meatless meal, and it will impress the herbivores in your life.
Cooking with plenty of fresh herbs is one of the best ways to give big flavor without adding extra calories.
You can use the suggested herbs and/or throw in what you have on hand - this is the perfect recipe for using those garden herbs.
I'm really loving my new BBQ. Obviously I love steak, but it is fun to grill other things once in a while! 😉
Grilling eggplant is straightforward, but like with anything else, you have to watch it because there's a fine line between just right and overdone.
I prefer my grilled eggplant on the more well done/crispy side, so I give it a little longer on the grill. You don't want to under-cook it as then it'll be chewy and not so tasty.
Have you ever grilled eggplant? I hope you decide to try this grilled eggplant salad recipe!
Made it or have any questions? Let me know in the comments below.
Grilled Eggplant and Spinach Salad
- 1 large eggplant cut into 3/4" round slices
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallot chopped
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 (5 ounce) package of spinach
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 heaping teaspoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Slice eggplant in 3/4" inch thick rounds and lightly salt both sides of each slice. Let it sit for a while so some of the bitter juice is released while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Make the salad dressing by combining all dressing ingredients and whisking them together (I like to add the oil in slowly, bit by bit). Set aside.
- Heat up BBQ/grill to medium-high heat.
- Prepare the other salad ingredients (chop the herbs, sun-dried tomatoes, and shallot), and add them and the spinach to a large salad bowl.
- Brush both sides of each eggplant slice with olive oil prior to grilling. I don't rinse the salt off the eggplant or anything, but you can if you're watching your intake.
- Grill eggplant on medium-high heat for approx. 3-5 minutes per side (really depends on your grill). The eggplant should be browned and crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside.
- Let eggplant cool for a few minutes, then cut each slice into quarters.
- Add the eggplant to the salad and toss everything together with the dressing. Serve immediately.
- Serves 2 as an entree-sized salad or 4 as a side salad.