Devour these delicious veggie burgers with grilled portobello mushrooms and eggplant! Fried shallots, more fresh veggies, and a smoky mayo make this a healthier way to get your burger fix.
You won't miss the meat. Well, I can't guarantee that... but this is one tasty burger. I enjoyed it, and I am not a veggie burger person.
I suppose it's because I love eggplant and I love mushrooms, so I didn't feel like I was trying hard to make a meat substitute.
There's a lot of good stuff in here. The fresh basil and creamy avocado! The peppery arugula. Plump, juicy tomato. The buttery toasted buns. And that marinade!
Are you convinced yet?
I hope you'll love these easy eggplant veggie burgers!
Will you make this grilled portobello and eggplant veggie burger?
Grilled Portobello and Eggplant Veggie Burger
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 4 slices eggplant
- 4 shallots
- 1 tablespoon butter and/or olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Burger buns
- Butter (for buns)
- Fresh basil
- Remove stems from mushrooms. In a large ZipLoc, combine the marinade ingredients and add the mushrooms. Marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Prepare the sauce by mixing the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Refrigerate until needed.
- Cut shallots into thin slices. Add a tablespoon of butter and/or olive oil to a pan on medium heat. Fry the shallots for about 10 minutes or until they're soft and browned, stirring occasionally. You may need to turn the heat down to medium-low so they don't burn. Set cooked shallots aside.
- Slice eggplant into 1/2" slices and sprinkle both sides with salt.
- Pre-heat grill to high heat. Turn grill down to medium heat once it's ready to go. Grill the mushrooms for about 5 minutes per side until they're cooked through, and grill the eggplant for about four minutes per side or until it's cooked through. To cook the eggplant, place it on the grill and brush olive oil on the top. After four minutes, turn the eggplant and brush the oil on the other side.
- If desired, you can toast the insides of the buns. Spread butter on them and then place them on the grill for 30 seconds or until they're toasted as you like... or use the same pan you cooked the shallots in (heat pan to medium-high heat then add the buttered buns and cook until they're toasted as you like).
- Prepare other veggies (slice the tomato & avocado).
- Spread the sauce on the buns then top with the mushrooms, eggplant, fried shallots, arugula, avocado, tomato, and fresh basil leaves.
- I used a gas BBQ for this recipe. Please keep in mind that these directions are only a guideline as every BBQ or grill is different, so adjust cooking time accordingly.
QUERINO DE FREITAS says
YOU MENTIONED 4 SLICES EGGPLANT IT MUST BE A SMALL EGGPLANT IS'NT IT A WASTE OF EGGPLANT IF ONE USE ONLY 4 SLICES.. THANKS
Hi! Well, I guess it’s up to you how much you use. Yes, it’s a small eggplant so the patties fit on the bun. You could definitely grill the rest of the eggplant and make more burgers or eat the eggplant by itself/with something else.
I'm not much of a veggie burger person either. When I think of 'veggie burger' I think of dry, hard to swallow grain patties. But THIS veggie burger is something I could really get into - juicy, flavorful and some of my favorite grilled veggies between two buns.
Thanks Marissa, totally agree 🙂
Meghan | Fox and Briar says
Gah! These look amazing! I need more meatless recipes in my life, and I know we would love this one! Pinning!
Dawn @ Girl Heart Food says
I know I would love this! I'm a huge mushroom fan and you have so many wonderful flavours going on here with the mayo and toppings that this would more than satisfy anyone! Looks delish, Natasha 🙂
Thanks so much, Dawn!! 🙂
Cathy | whatshouldimakefor.com says
so many great flavors going on here. love the tangy marinade and the smoky mayo. No way you'll miss the meat here!
Thanks Cathy 🙂
Natasha's Sister says
Make this for me. Now.