This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Halloween puppy chow recipe is a fun, spooky, and perfect treat for October 31! Halloween sprinkles add the perfect twist to the classic chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar snack.
This puppy chow recipe is addictive. I had to get it out of my house so I wouldn’t snack on it. My husband’s coworkers know that recipes that come from my house are always a bit early for the occasion, but they seem to be ok with the taste testing situation. 😉
Halloween muddy buddies tips:
- The Halloween sprinkles I used are a combination of two Wilton sprinkle mixes (you can probably find them in your local grocery store), and a package of those cute little eyeballs that the stores tend to sell around Halloween. Cute eyeballs. That’s right.
- I used less powdered sugar than the original Chex recipe calls for because I wanted the sprinkles to show up better. Some sprinkles do fall off, but overall I’d say this recipe works out just fine. I just take the sprinkles that have fallen off and “drizzle” them over top of the bowl when serving.
If you like muddy buddies, I also have a Christmas puppy chow recipe that you may like as well.
Questions? Ask me in the comments below.
Halloween Puppy Chow Recipe
- 9 cups rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 7 tablespoons Halloween sprinkles or to taste
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Measure out the cereal and set aside (it should equal one standard size box).
- Microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter for 30 second intervals until it's melted. Give it a good stir, then add the vanilla and stir again.
- Pour the chocolatey mixture onto the cereal and toss gently until it's coated. Add in the sprinkles and stir so they're nicely coating the cereal. It's up to you if you add more or fewer sprinkles than I did.
- Add half the puppy chow into a large ZipLoc bag along with half the powdered sugar. Gently toss until coated. Spread the muddy buddies out on a lined baking sheet. Repeat with the other half of the puppy chow.
- Let the puppy chow set on the baking sheet on the counter (or refrigerate for 10-15 minutes). Store puppy chow in a sealed bag or container in a cool place for up to a week or so. Note: It's normal that some of the sprinkles will come off. I just add them all to the storage bag/container and then sprinkle them over top when serving.
- Recipe adapted from Chex.com. This version of the recipe uses less powdered sugar than Chex's recipe because I want the sprinkles to be more visible.
- If you buy a 12.9 ounce box of Chex cereal, you don't need to measure out the 9 cups.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.