This Christmas puppy chow recipe is an addictive festive holiday treat that the whole family will love! Perfect for easy entertaining.
These Christmas muddy buddies went down very well at my husband's office. In fact, one nice lady said it was her favorite sweet treat that she's tested for my blog so far. That's what I like to hear! 😉
This holiday puppy chow has a touch of peppermint, which goes fabulously with the chocolate and peanut butter. The powdered sugar looks like snow. It just works.
And since I'm a sprinkles fiend, we have some festive sprinkles in here to add a bit of classic Christmas color!
How to make Christmas muddy buddies:
- Measure the cereal out and add it to a large bowl;
- Melt the chocolate, peanut butter, and butter in the microwave, and stir in the peppermint extract + vanilla;
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal and toss until coated, then stir the sprinkles in;
- Toss the cereal in a large ZipLoc with the powdered sugar;
- Spread the cereal out to let it cool, and then store it in an airtight container.
So, peppermint puppy chow mix is really the perfect last-minute Christmas party recipe that we should all remember when we're wondering what the heck to make.
Just as an aside, did you know that powdered sugar is known as icing sugar here in Canada and also in England? That's what I grew up calling it. I didn't even know it wasn't called that in the States until I happened to Google it for other reasons. It's also called confectioner's sugar.
If you're into easy no-bake Christmas sweets, you may also like my white chocolate Christmas popcorn recipe. I'll admit I am not the world's most avid baker, so anytime I can get away with making yummy no-bake treats, I'll usually take that option!
I hope you will give these holiday muddy buddies a try!
Questions? Don't hesitate to leave me a comment. 🙂
Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe
- 9 cups rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup Christmas sprinkles optional
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Measure out the cereal and set aside (it should equal one standard size box).
- Microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter for 30 second intervals until it's melted. Give it a good stir and add the vanilla and peppermint extract and stir again.
- Pour the chocolatey mixture onto the cereal and toss gently until it's coated. Add in the sprinkles and stir so they're nicely coating the cereal.
- Add the cereal to a large ZipLoc bag along with the sugar, and toss until it's coated. You may want to do this in two batches to make it easier (I did it in one batch and you can see some of the cereal is more coated than other pieces).
- Spread the muddy buddies out on a lined baking sheet until it sets (you can pop it in the fridge if you wish). Store in a sealed bag or container in a cool place for up to a week or so. Note: It's normal that some of the sprinkles will come off. I just add them all to the storage bag/container and then sprinkle them over top when serving.
- Recipe adapted from Chex.com. This version of the recipe uses less powdered sugar than Chex's recipe because I want the sprinkles to be more visible.
- If you buy a 12.9 ounce box of Chex cereal, you don't need to measure out the 9 cups.