Kale salad with parmesan, lemon, and black truffle oil – you can easily add a gourmet twist to this superfood!
Disclosure: The black truffle oil I used in this recipe was provided to me at no cost by Olivenation. All opinions are my own. Links to the black truffle oil are affiliate links. I only recommend products I choose from companies I trust. Thanks for supporting the companies that support Salt & Lavender!
Kale is a tough little bugger, so I usually cook it. I figured it was time to make something out of raw kale. I heard of massaging kale, but I felt too ridiculous to look up how to rub my greens the right way. I don’t have time for that, srsly. Instead, I removed the stems and then chopped the remaining kale quite finely.
This is a good make-ahead salad. I think we’ve all ran into the issue where the lettuce gets soggy way too quickly, even when you wait to put the dressing on. Letting the lemon/yogurt dressing sit on the kale for an hour or so before serving also helps to tenderize it. You could easily make this several hours before you’re ready to serve it.
I did try the salad the next day, and while it still tasted good, the dressing did dry out a little bit. You could revive the dressing by squeezing a little more lemon on top and tossing it again before serving, and it would still taste good.
This salad reminds me of caesar salad, which is fine with me since that’s predictable ole me’s favorite.
I’ve had white truffle oil plenty of times, but I don’t recall ever trying black truffle oil. When Olivenation let me pick some of their products to try, I figured now was as good a time as any. Olivenation’s La Truffiere black truffle oil is extra-virgin olive oil slowly aged with black truffles and then filtered. I found the taste quite similar to white truffle oil, but it is slightly less expensive as black truffles are more common.
As always, truffle oil is best used sparingly. A tiny bottle always lasts me ages. When used correctly, truffle oil adds a nice, earthy flavor. The black truffle oil complements the taste of the parmesan cheese very well.
Get black truffle oil here.
Let me know if you tried this kale salad with parmesan, lemon, and black truffle oil in the comments below.
Kale Salad with Parmesan, Lemon, and Black Truffle Oil
A fancy kale salad with lemon, black truffle oil, and parmesan cheese.
- 2 bunches kale (approx. 5-6 cups when chopped)
- Juice of 1/2 large lemon
- 3 heaping tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black truffle oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (I prefer freshly grated)
- Prepare kale by tearing leaves from the stems. Chop the kale into small strips/pieces. Place in a large salad bowl.
- Grate parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Prepare the dressing by adding the lemon juice, Greek yogurt, garlic, truffle oil, olive oil, and salt & pepper to a small bowl, and then whisking the ingredients until smooth.
- Add the parmesan to the salad bowl and then toss the kale and parmesan with the dressing.
- I recommend covering the salad and letting it sit in the fridge for at least an hour prior to serving, but this isn't necessary.
- Makes 2 entree sized salads or 4 appetizer/side salads.