You'll love these meatballs in a cream sauce! Tender beefy meatballs smothered in a rich and creamy, buttery sauce flavored with white wine, Dijon mustard, and nutmeg.
Let's jinx things and talk about winter. This creamy meatballs recipe is perfect for a cold day. And I've experienced plenty of those. Years ago I had to walk to work in -40C. That's also -40F! It's hard to describe just how cold that is. Your eyes want to freeze shut so you have to keep blinking. It's awful. I think the last time I had any kind of snow day was back when I rode a yellow bus to school and it broke down. -25C is routine here. 😛
It's kind of funny - as bad as the weather gets here, the coldest I've ever been would have to be a few years ago when I visited England and watched a football (soccer) game outdoors with my husband. It was drizzling and < 10C. The damp cold is so different than the dry cold I am used to here in Alberta. It gets into your bones (yes I was wearing layers!). I don't think I warmed up on that entire trip, despite drinking lots of Bovril.
This meatballs dish will warm you up and give you lots of leftovers - I take some for work lunches and it gives me something to look forward to.
Of course it feels like winter at work year-round because the air conditioning is always blasting. Don't get me started on that. AC at home = godsend. At work, not so much.
Anyway, enough ranting. I need to eat more of these meatballs to warm me up!
Will you make these meatballs in a cream sauce?
Meatballs in a Cream Sauce
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion grated finely
- 4 tablespoons Italian breadcrumbs
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons flour (for sauce) plus extra for dredging
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 can chicken broth
- 6 shakes Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Add ground beef, breadcrumbs, grated onion, minced garlic, and salt & pepper (to taste) to a mixing bowl and gently mix together, using your hands.
- Form meatballs (should make about 35 1-inch meatballs).
- Dredge meatballs in flour.
- On medium heat, melt olive oil and about 1 tbsp of butter in pot. Add meatballs and brown for a couple of minutes per side.
- Once meatballs are browned, remove and set aside on a separate plate.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine and dijon mustard.
- Add cream, chicken broth, worcestershire sauce, the rest of the butter, nutmeg, 2 teaspoons of flour (sprinkle in gradually while stirring), and more pepper to sauce. Increase heat to medium-high, and stir until sauce is smooth. Reduce heat to medium just as sauce comes to a boil.
- Add meatballs into pot and cook for approximately 20 minutes on medium-low heat until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is thickened. Stir them occasionally.
- Add extra salt and pepper if desired.
- Delicious with mashed potatoes or egg noodles.