My pomegranate lemon roasted chicken is sure to become a cold weather favorite! With only 10 minutes prep time, you can sit back and relax as your kitchen fills with the aroma of tender, crispy-skinned chicken roasting in the herb-citrus pomegranate sauce.
This roast chicken dish is pleasantly fruity, but not too fruity. I am not one who always likes fruit in savory dishes, so this was a bit of an experiment for me. I'm happy to report that I enjoyed this and it's not too sweet or anything. The sauce is light and fragrant.
As I've mentioned before, pomegranates are my favorite fall/winter fruit. I typically eat them at least once or twice per week (I just munch on the arils by themselves), but I've also tried incorporating them in seasonal recipes, such as my Brussels sprouts and pomegranate salad, my pomegranate and persimmon winter sangria, and now this pomegranate chicken recipe.
One tip - the pomegranate arils are best left at the bottom of the pan when you're dishing this up. They help make the sauce delicious, but once they're cooked, they're not as tasty as they are raw. You can either strain them out or simply leave them at the bottom of the pan when spooning the juices out as I did.
The chicken skin crisps up nicely as you roast it. If you want it even crispier, you can broil the chicken for a few minutes at the end. This dish goes well with any number of sides including rice, mashed potatoes, or a salad.
Questions? Let me know!
Pomegranate Lemon Roasted Chicken
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Arils from 1/4 pomegranate
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4-6 chicken thighs bone in skin on
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Herbs de Provence (or Italian seasoning)
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 375F and place the rack in the middle position.
- Add the lemon juice, pomegranate juice, butter, pomegranate arils, and garlic to a baking dish.
- Add the chicken pieces to the baking dish and sprinkle them with salt & pepper and herbs de Provence. Place thyme sprigs around the chicken.
- Roast for one hour. If desired, you can broil the chicken for a few minutes at the end to make the skins even crispier.
Have you ever cooked with pomegranates? What do you like to make?