Roasted tomato and red pepper sauce - a versatile sauce that is simple to make, super flavorful, and can be used on pasta, pizza, or anywhere a tomato-based sauce is needed.
Slow roasting the veggies really brings out their flavor (and the garlic... oh my!).
Your kitchen will smell wonderful while this is cooking.
In summer, this would be a great way to use up excess fresh tomatoes. I know a lot of people seem to end up stuck with them. I don't have a vegetable garden, so I wouldn't know 🙂
The herbs I suggest are just a guideline. Feel free to sprinkle your favorite dried (or fresh!) herbs on. I don't think you can go wrong. I looove the combination of basil and tomatoes so I wouldn't leave that out, but anything else works.
The roasting brings out the natural sweetness in the tomatoes and peppers, so no sugar is needed here.
Tools used to make this recipe:
KitchenAid Food Processor
How will you use this roasted tomato and red pepper sauce?
Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Sauce
A versatile tomato sauce with red peppers and herbs.
- 1 dozen roma tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 10 leaves fresh basil
- 5 whole cloves garlic
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 275F. Place the rack in the top third of the oven. Line a baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up.
- Cut tomatoes into halves and remove cores. Cut peppers into quarters and remove any seeds.
- Add olive oil, dried herbs, roughly torn basil, garlic, and salt & pepper to a bowl. Coat tomatoes and peppers in the mixture (I placed them in the bowl one by one and used my hands to coat them in the oil mixture).
- Place tomatoes and peppers on the baking sheet face up. Add garlic cloves in between the tomatoes and peppers, and place any remaining basil onto the tomatoes and peppers. Drizzle any remaining oil from the bowl on top of the tomatoes and peppers. Place in oven and cook for 2.5 hours.
- Once cooked, let the tomatoes and peppers cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Transfer contents of baking sheet into a food processor (you may need to do two batches) and blend until desired consistency is reached.
- Re-heat before serving if needed.