This shredded kale and Brussels sprouts salad is flavorful, filling, and delicious with pecorino cheese and mandarin oranges.
This hearty salad is ideal for cooler temperatures - it makes a wonderfully filling yet light meal or the perfect side salad.
Ok, so I didn't think the day would ever arrive when I actually got excited for a kale salad. I'm not just blowing smoke here. I surprised myself with how much I liked this salad.
I have nothing against kale, but I never thought of it as something I ate for any reason besides health (just being honest here). I do love Brussels sprouts, though. Kale and Brussels sprouts = a great combo.
This salad is so good because I think it ticks all the boxes a good salad usually does. It has a bit of finely grated cheese, which adds a wonderful saltiness and sort of creaminess. It has almonds to add a bit of crunch, a light but tangy dressing, some red onion for its distinctive flavor, and a few mandarin orange slices in there for a bit of sweetness.
The kale and Brussels sprouts are finely chopped so they're not too chewy, and they're also hearty and more filling than most salad greens.
This shaved Brussels sprouts salad is going to be on repeat for me. I've already made it 4x times since I developed the recipe. Part of that is because I kept messing up the photos (why is kale so hard to photograph?!), but I can't say I was too upset at having this on repeat. 😛
A couple of recipe notes: If you're not big on fruit in savory salads, leave the oranges out. You could substitute the pecorino cheese for ricotta salata (not the same as normal ricotta - this is the kind that you can grate). I wanted to make this with ricotta salata originally, but in my experience, it's not as easy to find, so that's why we went with pecorino. Even parm-reg would work in a pinch.
Hope you love this kale and Brussels sprouts salad!
Questions? Leave me a comment!
Shredded Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1 small bunch kale stems removed & leaves chopped finely
- 2 dozen Brussels sprouts trimmed & chopped finely
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 small red onion chopped finely
- 1 cup freshly (finely) grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1-2 mandarin oranges peeled & segmented
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare the dressing and set aside. Prep your kale and Brussels sprouts and add them to a large salad bowl. Toss with the dressing (this will helped soften the kale). I suggest playing with the quantities of the dressing ingredients to adjust to your personal taste.
- Prep the rest of the ingredients and add them to the salad bowl. Toss gently.
- This salad won't get soggy, so you can make it a few hours ahead. It still tastes good the next day, but it's not quite as good as it is freshly made.
- This is the newer model of the cheese grater I used for this recipe.