This Asian style shrimp and noodle soup recipe is healthy, tastes fresh, and is comforting. Ready in 30 minutes.
The first time I made this soup I used an entire one pound package of noodles, and it soaked up most of the broth. I like to think of myself as someone who knows how to cook, but when it comes to measuring spaghetti or noodles, I really suck.
It didn't taste bad; it just wasn't soup. You'd think that the directions on the noodle package would have tipped me off when it said "cook in 12 cups of water," but Natasha doesn't follow directions. Since my husband and I don't need to eat for 10, a third of the noodles work a lot better!
Anyway, this soup is really tasty and isn't as labor intensive as making a proper pho, for example. It's very doable on a weeknight, and the fresh herbs are a nice treat in the middle of January.
I hope you enjoy this Asian style shrimp and noodle soup!
Asian Style Shrimp and Noodle Soup
- 6 cups water
- 2 (10 fluid ounce) cans chicken broth
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1 peeled chunk of ginger (about the size of a teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 tablespoons spring onions chopped
- 1/3 lb. Chinese style noodles (I used 1/3 of a package)
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp
- If shrimp are frozen, run them under cool water until thawed. Peel and devein. Set aside.
- Add water, chicken broth, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, Chinese five spice, ginger, and chili pepper to a pot on high heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare herbs. Chop the basil, mint, and cilantro, and add to the pot. Mince the garlic into the pot. Chop spring onions and set aside.
- When the broth starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium and add the noodles and cook for about five minutes, until noodles are soft.
- Add the shrimp and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Take out ginger chunk then serve immediately and add spring onions on top. You can garnish it with extra mint and basil leaves if desired.