This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Make a small batch of these potato chips in two minutes in your microwave! They’re crispy and crunchy, and you can flavor them with whatever seasonings you wish.
Up until now, I haven’t had the best luck with making potato chips at home. Last time I failed because I wanted to make them in the oven, but I couldn’t slice the potatoes thin enough and they baked unevenly. And they totally stuck to the baking sheet. This time is different. I finally invested in a mandoline (best $25 I ever spent?), and I used my microwave, so the test batches were lightning fast and no potatoes were wasted during this experiment.
Small batch: I only made about eight chips at a time. This isn’t a bad thing. If you’re feeding an army, you may want to explore other methods of making chips, but if you want a nice little snack, this is fine. You can finish an entire potato in about 20 minutes with this method.
Here’s what works: use a mandoline to slice potatoes 1 mm thick. Use parchment paper to avoid chips cementing onto the plate. Coat the potatoes lightly with olive oil; they shouldn’t be dripping in it. As each microwave is different, you may need to do a little experimenting to find the ideal cooking time. For me, 2-2.5 minutes seemed to work the best. The chip(s) in the center of the plate tended to brown the fastest, so you may want to rearrange them if you’re noticing some chips are browning way faster (if you want them totally even). It’s really not a big deal considering this is all happening in the span of a few minutes. I microwaved the chips about halfway, rearranged them, and then finished cooking them.
I seasoned my chips with the olive oil, sea salt, and some smoked paprika. I then added my beloved Maldon salt on top for the photos. Delicious! I will definitely try other flavor combos as well in the future. Oh, the possibilities! I also tried making these chips without the olive oil, and they’re just not as good.
The dipping sauce is super simple. I just mixed some mayo with a little bit of black truffle oil. You could use any dip under the sun, or skip the dip altogether.
Tools used to make these crispy chips:
OXO Handheld Mandoline Slicer
What will you flavor your small batch microwave potato chips with?
Small Batch Microwave Potato Chips
- 1 large russet potato
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Smoked paprika (optional)
- Line a dinner plate with parchment paper. You may need to cut the corners off or fold them upward so that the plate can rotate properly in the microwave without the paper getting caught.
- Using a mandoline, cut potato into 1 mm slices (or as thin as your mandoline can go).
- In a small bowl, mix the potato slices with olive oil and sea salt using your fingers.
- Place the potato slices on the parchment paper in an even layer.
- Place the plate in the microwave and set for two minutes. Watch the chips carefully. You may need to move them around before the two minute mark so they cook evenly. As microwaves vary, experiment with the ideal cooking time to get the perfect crispy chip. Repeat the process until you've cooked the entire potato.
- Sprinkle on smoked paprika and additional salt once the chips are cooked.
- Microwave cooking method inspired by Practical Mommy.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.