Southwest spiced crunchy chickpeas are a healthy, tasty, and easy to make snack or salad topping.
If you have a can of chickpeas sitting in your pantry, you can make these delicious crunchy chickpea recipe. Roasting chickpeas brings out a subtle nuttiness that is super addictive.
Preparation isn't difficult, but you want to ensure you don't skimp on drying the chickpeas... whether that be by using plenty of paper towel or letting them air dry for long enough. Drying them prior to coating them in olive oil ensures they will be as crunchy as possible.
As far as the seasoning goes, I thought a southwest spice blend would be perfect for these. I wanted the smoked paprika to come through boldly, so I doubled it. You can always tone down the chili powder and chipotle chili pepper if you're sensitive to spice. They'll still taste really good!
Roasted chickpeas tend to get softer the longer you keep them, but that only happens if you are able to resist gobbling them up right away. And they still make the perfect snack.
Will you make these crunchy chickpeas?
Have you tried roasting chickpeas before?
Southwest Spiced Crunchy Chickpeas
- 1 (19 fluid ounce) can chickpeas drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)*
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
- Place chickpeas in a sieve or colander and rinse them under running water for a couple of minutes. Some of the skins will come off, and that's fine. You don't need to remove them all.
- The chickpeas should be as dry as possible before you put them in the oven. I dry them off as much as I can using paper towels and then let them air dry for about 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up.
- Place chickpeas on baking sheet and add the olive oil. Toss the chickpeas using your fingers until they're evenly coated with oil, and then spread them out in an even layer. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until they're golden and crispy. Halfway through baking, give the baking sheet a shake to ensure chickpeas cook more evenly.
- While chickpeas are cooking, prepare the spice mixture by adding each spice into a bowl.
- When chickpeas are done cooking, let them cool for five minutes or until they're not too hot to handle. Add them into the spice bowl and toss them with your fingers until they're evenly coated.
- Serve immediately.
- *If you prefer a more herby taste, add the dried oregano. It does tend to make the seasoning a little more grainy, so if you don't like that, omit it.
- Great as a snack by themselves or used as a salad topping.
- You can save time and use southwest seasoning instead of the individual spices if you have some on hand.
How do you stop these from getting soggy if you don’t eat them straight away? Or are they only ‘serve immediately’ in which case I could never eat that many in a whole sitting, even with my kids helping
Hi! You could always just store them in a bowl and leave it “open”. They may lose a little crispiness, but I don’t think they’ll be soggy.
Hi again 🙂 How long do you think these will keep?
Hi! I'd say about 2 weeks maybe? In an airtight container.
This is a fantastic recipe. I love chickpeas in all forms so shall be making these and soon. Thank you for sharing 🙂
Oh Natasha I am SO going to make these! What a genius thing to add spice when they're done! BRILLIANT! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Thanks Mahy!! I hope you like them 🙂
Tania @ COOKTORIA says
Awesome recipe and gorgeous photography! Pinned, Yummed, Stumbled!
Thanks friend 🙂
Shanna Rogers says
These look absolutely appetizing. I'm going to share the recipe with my boyfriend and vegan friend so they can make them for me and I won't miss it up. 🙂
Awesome, thanks Shanna! I hope you enjoy them 😉
nicole (thespicetrain.com) says
I am loving these! What a delicious thing to do with chickpeas!
Thank you Nicole!!
Lori Stead says
These sound amazing!!!
Dawn @ Girl Heart Food says
I loved roasted chickpeas, Natasha! Such a healthy and tasty snack, so I don't mind eating the whole recipe myself 😉 Your recipe looks delicious!
Thanks 🙂 I know, they're addictive little buggers. Let me know if you do try the recipe!
This looks so yummy and it would fit right into my healthy eating goals!!
Thanks! Let me know if you make them 🙂
Vivian | stayaliveandcooking says
I am loving these: so easy and healthy yet they sound delicious! Pinned for when I need a snack later, which might be sooooon. Have a great week!
Thank you Vivian! You have a great week as well.