These quick and easy healthy steak tacos are fresh and full of flavor! Summer herbs, lime, and arugula kick up the taste in this 20 minute meal.
How to make steak tacos
This healthy steak tacos recipe has so many wonderful flavors going on that I kept the steak really simple. I seasoned mine with salt and pepper then fried it in a bit of butter and olive oil. You could grill the steak if you prefer. I bought two fairly thin fast fry sirloins for these tacos, and I wish I bought a better cut of meat! It was ok, but you get what you pay for.
These tacos are so good that I would definitely consider using a more melt-in-your-mouth cut next time such as filet... or better quality sirloin. Anything really would work here except for big, thick cuts that shouldn't be cut up and put in tacos... like the Friday ribeye that I look forward to each week. 🙂
At first I was going to make chimichurri steak tacos, but I decided to branch out a bit. I do use many of the components of chimichurri (such as the fresh cilantro, parsley, oregano, and shallot), but I also wanted other flavors in here. Chimichurri is often blended in a food processor, but I didn't want to do that for a meal that's meant to be a fuss-free weeknight dinner.
Arugula and steak are magic together, so that was a must-have. I love avocado in my tacos, so that was another delicious addition. Tomatoes are plentiful and in-season right now, so they had to be included. Butter leaf lettuce adds more fresh flavor and crunch.
What we have here is a lovely summery meal that really hits the spot. Can't go wrong with tacos and fresh toppings.
Summer technically ends on September 21, so we have plenty of time to make these healthy steak tacos, right?
Healthy Steak Tacos
- 2 sirloin steaks (or other thin steaks)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 10 flour or corn tortillas
- Butter and/or olive oil for cooking the steak (optional)
- 1 shallot chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped finely
- Little tomatoes (grape/cherry) to taste
- 1 avocado sliced
- Arugula to taste
- Lettuce (I used butter leaf) to taste
- Sour cream to taste
- 1 lime quartered
- Pre-heat oven to 350F to warm the tortillas. Wrap them in foil and place them in the oven.
- Season both sides of the steaks with salt & pepper.
- Prepare the toppings: chop the shallot and herbs, and slice the avocado and tomatoes into smaller pieces.
- Cook the steak. Either fry it (I used a cast iron pan with a bit of butter and olive oil) or grill them (I like to brush on the mixture of olive oil and butter). A mixture of 1 tablespoon each butter and olive oil is a good starting point for either method.
- Serve tacos with all the garnishes. Either top them all or let people pick what toppings they want. Finish with a squeeze of lime juice.
Kathleen | Hapa Nom Nom says
These are stunning, Natasha! They have everything I love on a great taco and your pictures are just lovely!
Thanks so much!! 🙂