This Chicken Pasta Primavera recipe is filled with lean chicken, fresh veggies, and a light cream sauce. It’s ready in about 30 minutes!
My sister came up with the idea for this recipe. Since it’s spring and such (“primavera” means spring in Italian). Pasta Primavera is one of her favorites… minus the chicken. I love this lighter take on comfort food.
Whenever I hear the word “primavera”, I think of Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. In my
expert opinion, it’s probably the best piece of classical music ever composed. Summer is my favorite. Spring is too heavy on violins, but the intro is catchy. 😉 I listen to the Four Seasons every morning before work when I’m getting ready. I’m sure you’re just so happy to know that little tidbit about me. Moving on.
Pasta Primavera is actually an American dish that was popular in the ’70s. Well, I am bringing it back, baby. Ok, so not really. It’s always around. I periodically see it on restaurant menus. It’s easy and delicious.
This pasta is fairly flexible in what vegetables you can use. I decided on frozen peas, red pepper, roma tomato, and zucchini.
Here’s some more suggestions:
- Broccoli or broccolini
- Green or French beans
- Very thinly chopped carrots
- Yellow squash
It’s all good. Just make sure to chop everything relatively the same size so it cooks at a similar rate.
How to make Chicken Pasta Primavera
- Chop those veggies and prep your chicken.
- Sauté the chicken for 4-5 minutes. Take it out of the pan.
- Add in the veggies and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken back into the pan, along with the cream. Let it cook through for a few minutes.
- Serve with pasta and fresh parm!
Do you like Pasta Primavera?
Questions? Let me know in the comments below!
Chicken Pasta Primavera
This Chicken Pasta Primavera recipe is filled with lean chicken, fresh veggies, and a light cream sauce. It's ready in about 30 minutes!
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta
- 2 chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 dashes Italian seasoning
- 1 small zucchini chopped finely
- 1 roma tomato chopped finely
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped finely
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese optional, to taste
Boil a large, salted pot of water for the pasta.
Meanwhile, prep your chicken, zucchini, tomato, and red pepper.
Add the oil and butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take the chicken out of the pan and set it aside.
Add the garlic, Italian seasoning, zucchini, tomato, red pepper, and peas to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium. Stir in the cream and add the chicken back in. Cook for a few more minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are further softened.
Season with salt & pepper as needed and toss with the drained pasta. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese if desired.
- Be sure to salt this recipe well - it makes a big difference in taste. I am also fairly generous with the pepper.
- This pasta does not have a thick sauce. It's a light cream sauce that goes nicely with the veggies.