This creamy tuna pasta salad recipe is perfect for summer gatherings, potlucks, BBQs, or picnics. It's fast and easy to make!
This pasta salad could either be a side dish or a main course... whichever you choose is fine.
I recently made a healthy tuna pasta salad with a vinaigrette dressing, and this is the slightly different version with a creamy dressing. Depending on your mood, you could make either... or try both and see which you prefer.
Tuna is so versatile. It's one of my favorite ingredients to make quick meals with. My easy canned tuna pasta is a reader favorite. It's inexpensive, has lots of protein, and it's just plain tasty.
The tuna pasta salad dressing is basically a quick homemade ranch. It's cooling, refreshing, and slightly tangy. The dill adds a nice flavor that's great with the tuna and cucumber. I used dried dill, but feel free to use fresh (e.g. if you have some in your garden). I'm on a bit of a dill kick lately - I just recently made a lemon dill salmon pasta that you may like as well.
I hope you're enjoying the summer weather. This is the perfect easy summer dish to enjoy on the patio with a glass of white wine! 🙂
I chose macaroni for the pasta, but like I always say, it's fine to use a different kind of pasta. If you do opt for something different, I'd measure out 3 cups of uncooked pasta. Something about macaroni just makes it multiply when cooked haha. Also, feel free to swap out any ingredients you don't have/don't like and/or play with the quantities. I don't think you can go wrong with pasta salad. 🙂
Will you give this creamy tuna macaroni salad a try? Let me know if you make this for your next backyard BBQ!
Questions? Ask me in the comments below.
Creamy Tuna Pasta Salad
- 2.5 cups uncooked macaroni
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna drained
- 2 tablespoons red onion chopped
- 1 cup little tomatoes halved
- 2 sticks celery chopped small
- 1 mini cucumber (or 1/4 English cucumber) chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or use fresh
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Boil a large, salted pot of water for the macaroni. Cook it al dente according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, get everything else ready. I like to make the dressing first. Combine all the dressing ingredients until smooth and set it aside. Prep the other ingredients and add them to a large bowl.
- Once the pasta is done, rinse it under cold water and let it drain thoroughly. Toss with the dressing and other ingredients. Season with salt & pepper as needed (I found this recipe needed quite a bit of salt - it's a lot of pasta). You can serve this pasta salad right away or let it chill (covered) first for the flavors to meld more.
- If you use a different shape pasta than macaroni, I suggest making 3 cups (e.g. if you use bows).
- I didn't put long for prep because you can prep while the pasta is cooking, so I just count it in there.
- As with any pasta salad, feel free to add more/less of any ingredient to make it perfect for your tastes.