This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Crockpot taco soup recipe is simple to prepare and can be easily customized with your favorite toppings!
This recipe originally appeared on The Recipe Critic (I contribute to Alyssa’s blog on a monthly basis).
Making beef taco soup in the Crockpot is really easy. All you do is brown the beef, drain most of the fat (I leave a little in for flavor), and then add all the ingredients to the slow cooker. Give it a stir and then cook it for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
Pro tip: This soup definitely isn’t too spicy, even with the cayenne pepper, but feel free to leave it out if you want it more mild.
I love soups like this slow cooker taco soup. They’re pretty healthy as-is, but you can definitely make them more filling and decadent if you want, depending on what toppings you choose. If you like this type of soup, you may also like my hamburger soup recipe.
Want to make a similar recipe in your Instant Pot? Try my Instant Pot beef taco soup.
Crockpot beef taco soup topping ideas
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Shredded cheese (I used a Mexican cheese blend, but a Tex-Mex blend, cheddar, or Monterey Jack will work too)
- Tortilla strips or chips
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Scallions or red onions
Use any or all of these!
You may also like my creamy beef taco soup recipe.
Will you make this ground beef taco soup?
Questions? Leave me a comment below.
Crockpot Taco Soup
- 1.5 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can corn drained
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can black beans drained
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can red kidney beans drained
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 (4 fluid ounce) can diced green chilis with juices
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Optional toppings: sour cream, tortilla strips, scallions, avocado, shredded cheese, etc.
- Brown the beef in a skillet over medium-high heat, breaking the beef up with your spoon as you go along. Once the meat has browned, drain most of the fat (I like to leave a bit in for flavor), and add it to your Crockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to your slow cooker and stir well.
- Close the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Prior to serving, prepare your toppings. Give the soup a taste and season with salt & pepper if needed. Top the soup to taste and eat right away.
- Anything from 1-2 pounds of ground beef will work - I don't worry too much about the exact quantity.
- If you're sensitive to salt, use low-sodium beef broth.
- You can use regular diced tomatoes, but fire-roasted ones have more flavor.
- If you want a more mild soup, don't add the cayenne pepper.
- The soup (without toppings) freezes well.
- This is the 7 quart Crockpot I used to make this recipe.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.