This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore recipe has tender, fall-apart chicken and a slow cooked taste without using your oven or stove! Easy, simple, rustic Italian comfort food at its best.
I’ve made this electric pressure cooker Chicken Cacciatore recipe twice already… the first batch of photos weren’t my favorite, so I decided to redo them. The decision wasn’t too tough since I really didn’t mind eating it a second time. The depth of flavor in the Chicken Cacciatore’s sauce is just fantastic.
Searing the chicken right in the Instant Pot helps seal that flavor in. Like I’ve mentioned before, that’s one of my favorite features of the IP. 🙂
We’ve got a delicious combination of herbs in this classic dish along with garlic, carrots, a rich tomato sauce, and Kalamata olives. Can’t go wrong.
Prefer to make this on the stove? I’ve got you covered with my Easy Chicken Cacciatore.
What cut of chicken do you use in Chicken Cacciatore?
I wanted this boneless Chicken Cacciatore recipe to be a no-fuss, family-friendly recipe, so I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs. You could use bone-in chicken thighs or chicken breasts if you wish. Chicken breasts are typically drier than chicken thighs when you cook them in the Instant Pot or slow cooker, so I generally prefer using chicken thighs for recipes like this.
How to make Chicken Cacciatore in the Instant Pot (summary):
Sauté the onions in your Instant Pot and then add the chicken. Add the remaining ingredients (except for olives, fresh basil + parsley, and salt & pepper) and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. I then let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes prior to doing a manual pressure release. The chicken is tender, juicy, and falls apart.
What to serve with Chicken Cacciatore
Italian Chicken Cacciatore is great with mashed potatoes or rice. You could also serve it over polenta, pasta, or egg noodles.
Will you give this easy Chicken Cacciatore recipe a try? Let me know in the comments below if you have any questions or comments.
Easy Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can fire roasted crushed tomatoes with juices
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- Leaves from 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Add the olive oil and onion to your Instant Pot. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the Instant Pot and cook for 2 minutes/side.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, red pepper, carrot, garlic, thyme, and oregano. Close the lid and set the valve on "sealing". Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes (it'll take 10-15 minutes for it to get up to pressure).
- Once the countdown has finished, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. You can then manually release the rest of the pressure.
- Season with salt & pepper and stir in the olives, basil, and parsley.
- Serves 4-6.
- Inactive time indicates the time is takes the Instant Pot to get up to pressure then release pressure.
- I use this 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Check out the stovetop version of this recipe.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary and Salt & Lavender makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.