This Instant Pot honey garlic chicken recipe is fast, delicious, and it’s made with a handful of everyday ingredients.
Pretty sure this pressure cooker honey garlic chicken recipe will please the picky eaters out there. It’s sweet and warm, and I have trouble seeing anyone actually dislike this unless they don’t like sweet recipes in general. Or garlic, I guess. Watch – now someone is going to tell me they don’t like this recipe… it’s bound to happen. 😛
I debated whether I should make this honey and garlic chicken recipe in the Instant Pot or not. I really like my Instant Pot, but I find a lot of recipes could just as easily be made on the stove. Some people like using their Instant Pot for pretty much everything, though, so that’s why I’m not questioning myself too much.
I originally thought I would only post recipes that really benefit from being cooked in an Instant Pot (like it massively speeds up the process e.g. instead of slow cooking for 10 hours you can make it in an hour), but it looks like I’m going with a variety of recipes here and we’ll see how it goes.
There’s pros and cons of Instant Pot vs. stove top, and I’m sure people could argue it until they’re blue in the face. I’ve included a few tips in the recipe card on how to do this on the stove if you don’t own an Instant Pot or you don’t want to use it.
I do know that the Instant Pot yields delicious, tender chicken.
How to make honey garlic sauce
There’s many ways to do this, but my version includes:
- Soy sauce
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
I added a cornstarch slurry at the end to thicken it up a bit. I love the sauté function on the Instant Pot – it’s great for reducing sauces.
I hope you’ll give this easy Instant Pot honey chicken recipe a try! Let me know if you’ve tried it or have any questions in the comments below.
Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe
This Instant Pot honey garlic chicken recipe is fast, delicious, and it's made with a handful of everyday ingredients.
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch + 2 tablespoons cold water
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Fresh chives or scallions, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Fresh parsley to taste, for garnish (optional)
- Prep your chicken. Add the honey, soy sauce, water, lemon juice, and garlic to a small bowl and whisk together.
- If making rice for this recipe, it's good to get it started about now. I would use 2 cups uncooked rice for 4 people, or perhaps a bit less if they prefer smaller portions.
- Press the "sauté" button on your Instant Pot. Add the olive oil and chicken and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour the honey garlic mixture into your Instant Pot and give it a good stir. Close the lid, set it to "sealing" and cook the chicken on high pressure for 5 minutes. It'll take a few minutes to get up to pressure.
- Once the countdown has finished, carefully do a quick release of the pressure.
- Set your Instant Pot to "sauté" again to thicken the sauce. Mix the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl, then add it to your Instant Pot. Cook for a few minutes until the sauce is thickened. Season with salt & pepper as needed. Serve over rice.
You could also cook this on the stovetop - I would do it in a large skillet. Sauté like the recipe states, then cover the pan with a lid until the chicken is cooked. Finish off by stirring in the cornstarch mixture at the end.
I use this 6-quart Instant Pot.
Calorie information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee.
Courses Main Course
Serving Size 1/4 of recipe (not including rice)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.