This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy lemon tahini dressing is perfect on salads, roasted vegetables, and grains. You can easily customize it to your personal taste. Ready in less than 10 minutes!
I thought it was about time to put a quick guide on here explaining how to make tahini sauce/dressing.
It’s definitely a go-to of mine, especially for veggie-based dishes. It comes together quickly, and you can use it on all kinds of things.
You also don’t have to dirty up your blender or food processor, which is always a bonus for me. 😀
Even if you’ve never cooked with tahini before, chances are that you’re already familiar with it since it’s a key ingredient in most hummus recipes.
Tahini can usually be found in the nut butter section of most grocery stores. If you can’t find it there, try it in the ethnic foods aisle.
It’s also pretty good for you! Research says tahini can help to lower cholesterol (which may or may not be true), but, either way, it tastes good.
How to make tahini dressing
Whisk the tahini, lemon juice, honey (or maple syrup or agave if vegan), garlic, ground cumin, and 1 tablespoon of water together in a bowl. Add more water as needed to thin it out.
You can customize it until it’s the best tahini dressing you’ve ever had. 🙂 I put a couple of suggestions for extra add-ins in the recipe card. I love adding smoked paprika to it, for example.
Tahini sauce uses
Tahini dressing/sauce can be used for many different things.
Anything from salads (this lemon tahini dressing would be awesome on a kale salad), to roasted veggies, on grains (like in a Buddha bowl), on falafel, on fish or meat, as a sandwich or burger spread (tahini on toast is great!), as a dip for raw vegetables… the possibilities are virtually endless.
You can slap vegan tahini dressing on practically anything.
More homemade salad dressings to try:
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Easy Caesar Salad Dressing (10 Minutes & No Blender!)
- Chipotle Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing
- Mango Salad Dressing
I hope you love this creamy tahini dressing recipe!
Let me know in the comments below if you’ve made it or if you have any questions.
Easy Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey (or maple syrup/agave if vegan)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 3 tablespoons water
- Salt & pepper to taste
More add-in suggestions (optional - use none, one, or all):
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- Give the tahini a stir in its jar if it looks separated. Add the 4 tablespoons tahini to a medium bowl, along with the lemon juice, honey, garlic, cumin, and 1 tablespoon of the water. Whisk together.
- Whisk in 1 tablespoon of water at a time until the dressing reaches your desired consistency. I like mine with 3 tablespoons water, but adjust as needed.
- Taste dressing and season it with salt & pepper as needed. Whisk in additional ingredients if using. The smoked paprika gives the dressing a nice, smoky flavor, and the chives provide a burst of freshness.
- Everyone's tastes vary, so if you find the dressing isn't sweet enough, add more sweetener. If you want it more lemony, add more lemon juice. My ingredient quantities are just suggestions.
- Store any dressing leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. You may need to add more water to thin it out again.