This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This healthier grilled salmon Caesar salad is lightened up so you can have that fabulous Caesar taste without all the extra calories.
There’s something about grilled salmon that I just love. My BBQ imparts it with a delicate smoky flavor that just feels like summer! If you oil the grate well, you don’t need to worry too much about it breaking up. I did another grilled salmon recipe not long ago… I just can’t get enough. The grilled salmon makes this salad satisfying.
I left croutons out of this recipe because it’s a lighter version, but feel free to add them if a Caesar just isn’t a Caesar without ’em. I get it. 🙂
We have all sorts of other goodness in here like finely shaved parmesan cheese and creamy avocado.
To me, you really can’t do a Caesar justice without anchovies. In most cases, I use anchovy paste. It’s easier than opening up a tin of anchovies and not knowing what to do with the rest of them. I also sometimes use just Worcestershire sauce (it contains anchovies) when I don’t have anchovy paste or I just don’t feel like using it.
A tube can last in the fridge for about a year (check the expiration date if unsure). Don’t be afraid of anchovy paste! It can really perk up a dish. Start with a little, and if you feel you need a bit more of that umami flavor, add a little more at a time.
I always go a bit heavier on the anchovy that I write in my recipes on the blog, but I encourage you to experiment with what works for you. Rarely will a dish end up tasting fishy unless you majorly overdo it.
Hope you love this healthy Caesar salad recipe!
Questions? Ask me in the comments.
Healthy Grilled Salmon Caesar Salad
- 1 head romaine lettuce torn
- 1 pound fresh salmon
- Parmesan cheese shaved or grated to taste
- 1 avocado sliced
- 3 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon anchovy paste (or to taste)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the salmon pieces to a large Ziploc bag, and pour the marinade ingredients over top. Gently move the salmon around the bag to coat it in the mixture. Place bag in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by adding the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisking them together thoroughly. Adjust ingredients to you liking if needed (e.g. add more lemon juice, anchovy, or salt & pepper). Set aside until needed.
- Oil your grill's grate and preheat it to high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-high, and grill the salmon for about 5 minutes per side, or until it's cooked through.
- Toss the lettuce with the dressing and parmesan cheese. Using a fork, break up the salmon into bite-size pieces. Top the salad with the salmon and avocado. Serve immediately.
- I used a gas BBQ to grill the salmon. Please keep in mind every BBQ/grill/grill pan is different, and adjust cooking time accordingly.
- Serves 2-4.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.
You may also like my BBQ chicken Caesar salad recipe.