This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This marshmallow popcorn recipe is perfect for July 4th! It’s coated in delicious melted marshmallows and red, white, and blue sprinkles. It makes the best party snack!
This funfetti marshmallow popcorn recipe is reminiscent of rice krispie squares, which is never a bad thing. I don’t think I’ve made those things since I was a kid (with my mom’s help), but I am now inspired. You can’t beat the taste.
Need something quick and easy for Fourth of July potlucks, BBQs, or parties? This is your recipe. It’s fun for anyone to dig in, but I have a feeling that kids would really like it.
If you like red, white, and blue sprinkles, you may also like my patriotic funfetti blondies, which is also a super easy July 4 recipe.
You may be wondering where I bought my sprinkle mix from. I bought it from Sweetapolita, my favorite online sprinkles shop. This is the exact mix I bought. The bigger pieces are chocolate, so you really can’t go wrong here. 🙂
You can use any kind of red/white/blue sprinkles… you definitely don’t need to use the exact ones I do. You could even mix some patriotic M&Ms into this popcorn if you wish. Anything goes with a treat like this!
How to make marshmallow popcorn
Pop your popcorn.
Melt the butter, vanilla, and marshmallows in the microwave until you’ve got a smooth mixture.
Add the popcorn to a lined baking sheet. Pour the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn, toss it, then add the sprinkle mix. Let it set in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
You can then add the party popcorn to a bowl or portion it up individually.
Pro tip: The popcorn is quite sticky, so you could actually easily form it into balls if you wanted. Otherwise, people can simply enjoy pulling pieces off. I know I didn’t complain. 😉
Will you give this fun patriotic popcorn mix a try?
Let me know in the comments below!
Patriotic Marshmallow Popcorn
- 1 bag microwave popcorn (I used a natural flavored one)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- Patriotic sprinkles to taste
- Pop your popcorn according to package directions. Add it to a large baking sheet that's been lined with wax paper. Discard any unpopped kernels.
- Add your butter, vanilla extract, and marshmallows to a medium bowl and microwave in 30-second increments in the microwave (stir in between). I err on the side of microwaving less and letting it sit a bit longer between intervals so I don't scorch it.
- Once everything is melted together nicely, give it a good stir and then pour it over the popcorn. Toss it until it's fully coated. I use two spoons to do this.
- Spread the popcorn out in an even layer and add the sprinkles.
- Let the popcorn set. I like to speed this process up by putting the baking sheet in the fridge for 15 minutes or so.
- Keep popcorn in a sealed container or portion the popcorn up (e.g. in small bags). It'll last for a few days without going stale. This popcorn mix is quite sticky, so you could even make popcorn balls out of it if you wish.
- I bought this sprinkles mix from Sweetapolita.
- 1 bag of microwave popcorn = 12 cups so keep that in mind if you're making popcorn another way.
© Salt & Lavender Inc. Content and photographs are copyrighted. Sharing this blog post is much appreciated, but copying and pasting full recipes without authorization to social media is strictly prohibited.
I also have a Christmas funfetti popcorn recipe to file away for later!