My roasted butternut squash spinach salad with goat's cheese is a healthy, delicious, and filling fall salad!
Ok, I'll admit I don't like goat's cheese. I used to, until I had this experience with it (warning: not for the faint of heart). Anyway, everyone else seems to like it, so I made this despite my taste aversion. My husband and sister thoroughly enjoyed this salad in its entirety, and I enjoyed sneaking pieces of roasted squash, so we're good here.
We seem to have butternut squash in the grocery store year-round, but obviously it's more of a cold-weather food. Yeah, it's probably a bit early to post this, but that's ok.
In the food blogging world we start thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas recipes in the middle of August. I do anyway. So this isn't much of a stretch! Stay tuned for another summer recipe on Wednesday, though. I'm so not done with warm weather
ever yet, but I will try to sneak in a few fall recipes here and there. 😉
The dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds add more autumn flavor and satisfying texture. Basil adds that wonderful herby freshness. The honey garlic dressing is super simple and further enhances the sweetness of the squash.
You could peel the squash, but I decided not to. Less work. The skins are chock full of good stuff. I like when being lazy has health benefits. I was totally dreading cutting the squash because I had this idea in my head that it needed to be perfectly cubed, but my
laziness resourcefulness took over again, and these half moons or whatever you'd call them are much easier to do and look perfectly fine 🙂
Hope you will enjoy this roasted butternut squash spinach salad recipe!
Roasted Butternut Squash Spinach Salad with Goat's Cheese
- 1 small butternut squash
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- Pinch of ground cumin
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package of spinach
- 1/4 cup (or to taste) dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup (or to taste) pumpkin Seeds
- Goat's cheese to taste
- 10 leaves fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400F, and move the rack to the top third of the oven. Line a baking sheet with tin foil for easy clean-up.
- Prepare the squash by cutting the ends off, then slicing it in half lengthwise. Cut each half into 1/2" slices width-wise so you end up with half moon shapes. Cut the pieces in half again to make them more bite-sized. Place squash slices on the baking sheet and toss with about a tablespoon of olive oil and some salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, combine dressing ingredients to make the dressing (I used a jar). Refrigerate until needed.
- Once the squash is cooked, let it cool while you prepare the rest of the salad. Add spinach to a large bowl and then add the dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, goat's cheese (crumble it with your fingers), and basil (tear it into small pieces).
- Toss salad with the dressing and squash and serve immediately.
- This makes a large salad (four entree sizes or 6+ appetizer sizes), so the recipe is easily halved. Squash can be roasted a day ahead and refrigerated until you need to assemble the salad.
Ashley M says
Love this salad! I always add pickled red onions!
Wonderful!! Love that idea!
Scott Groth says
What a colorful and delicious looking salad! Thanks for sharing!
Julia @ Happy Foods says
What a gorgeous looking salad! I didn't know you can actually eat the squash skin.
Thanks, Julia! Yeah, the skin really isn't bad. I wouldn't keep it on for every use of the squash, but it sure saves time for some recipes.
Debs @ Wilde Orchard says
Love this Natasha! Perfect for the approaching fall!
Thanks Debs! 🙂
Dawn @ Girl Heart Food says
I LOVE goat cheese!! But, then again, I love pretty much any cheese! This salad looks so scrumptious, Natasha. And that honey garlic dressing sounds perfect! We get squash pretty much year 'round here too and it's just delish, especially when you roast the seeds too 🙂 Pinned! Have a great week!
Thanks!! Agreed, roasting squash is the way to go 🙂
Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary says
OMG, You don't like goat cheese? I LOVE IT! Needless to say I didn't click on that link because I don't want to stop loving it! 😉 This salad is gorgeous, girlfriend! Gimme all the roasted butternut squash -- seriously my favs! But paired with spinach and goat cheese?! HEAVEN! I could eat this daily! Pinned! Cheers!
Lol yeah... I used to love it before the incident hahaha. I don't know how likely it is to happen to anyone else, though... so I think you're good 😉 Thanks for pinning!!