Try my sausage and Swiss chard stuffed portobello mushrooms for an easy dinner!
Parmesan, garlic, sausage, and Swiss chard stuffed portobello mushrooms make a fantastic dish with very little prep time.
I just love portobello mushrooms. Stuff them with meat and parmesan cheese, and you've got a winning recipe.
Don't be afraid to stuff these mushrooms like you've never stuffed mushrooms before. They do get pretty tall, but that's ok.
They do cook through, and the mushroom adds some lovely moisture. The Swiss chard is great for texture and sneaking in some vitamins. And for making them taller.
I suggest serving these with a big salad that has a vinaigrette like this one. You could also take one of these bad boys to work the next day for a lunch you're sure to look forward to. I've done this, and they reheat well.
I hope you will try these sausage and Swiss chard stuffed portobello mushrooms soon!
Questions? Let me know!
Sausage and Swiss Chard Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1 small bunch Swiss chard
- 1 pound bratwurst sausages (I use Johnsonville brats 5-pack)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 8-10 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 385F.
- Remove stalks from mushrooms and take Swiss chard leaves off stems. Chop Swiss chard into smaller pieces.
- Remove sausages from casings and put sausage meat into a bowl. Add Swiss chard, garlic powder, worcestershire sauce, pepper, salt, parmesan, egg, and thyme (remove leaves from the twigs). Mix using your hands.
- Place an equal amount of meat over each mushroom cap (gill side up).
- Place mushroom caps onto a non-stick baking sheet. Bake for one hour, or until sausage is cooked.